Dynamic martial arts demonstration - Dynamic, Authentic, Imperfect - OPTIMAL

Well, those look like quite the workout! It's nice that you put so much energy into the techniques, we don't see that often in demos. And props to you for taking ukemi as the teacher (that too is not a given).

One small(ish) point: I think it would look better if your group had a karate instructor help with those punches and kicks, especially if you want to make atemi a central part of your work (from the quote in your signature I guess you're from Nobuyoshi Tamura's line?).

Hi, yes we are in the line of Tamura and Toshiro.

Your point is valid and we just had a nice crosstraining with a karate dojo around the corner and we have some students training in Muai Thai and BJJ. So progress is to be expected.

It's not easy to close a decades-long gap in missing training methods in a short space of time. Generations have forgotten O'Sensei's teachings on Atemi and the fact that his students already knew how to fight, and that he therefore did not need to teach them. But today's generations, like me, have to train it if you don't come from another martial art...

We are students, we love the art and we train hard. I don't see myself as a teacher, rather as the one who has stayed so long that I now “have” to be at the front... I miss the active training and contribute as uke at every opportunity. Anyone who understands the role of the uke also knows that you can often explain the technique better with the falling school than with words.

Have a nice day :)

Sounds great!

Yes, I know it's tough to get proper striking training from aikido schools, as it was not formalized as part of the curriculum/training objectives. Same with sparring, which was often done informally by first generations of practitioners (under judo/sumo rules) but was actively discouraged when the Aikikai enshrined "non competition" as a central principle of the art. Actually, few of Morihei Ueshiba's students already knew how to fight, but without a doubt, at the time, fighting was much more encouraged than for later generations.

Latest Discussions

Back