Doctors say streching may not help!!!!

J

J-kid

I was watching the news and noticed this topic about how doctors think that streching may not help provent injurys , And that streching only makes you more flexable ,, What are your comments on this, Your friend Judo-kid:eek:

I think it is a largely known fact among all serious martial artists and sportsmen alike.
it effectively helps you to prevent straining/spraining,pulling muscles etc. it is important.
Sure it can´t help to prevent all kinds of injuries,but it prepares your body for action very well and has good "side-effects".

Originally posted by Humble artist

I think it is a largely known fact among all serious martial artists and sportsmen alike.
it effectively helps you to prevent straining/spraining,pulling muscles etc. it is important.
Sure it can´t help to prevent all kinds of injuries,but it prepares your body for action very well and has good "side-effects".

Yes!

Streaching has been a major part of life in many styles, and they've been because they help.

/Yari

Originally posted by Judo-kid

I was watching the news and noticed this topic about how doctors think that streching may not help provent injurys , And that streching only makes you more flexable ,, What are your comments on this, Your friend Judo-kid:eek:

I heard that mentioned on the news the other day also....except I thought they said that stretching AFTER exercising may not help prevent injuries. I thought that that was safe to say 'cause you're already done working out so how are you gonna hurt yourself by not stretching?? Unfortunately I only caught the last few seconds of the story.

I have also heard that stretching before execising warms/loosens you up (which I think everyone agrees on) and execising after is where you actually get the most results for flexibility.

I could be wrong though....

FLY.
:asian:

Warm Up
Stretch
Train

That's how it'll always be

Flexibility is conected with speed and agility. And it does prevent injuries... Have you ever had a pulled muscle? :soapbox:

the correct way to stretch:

warm up your muscles first... running, jumping jacks...something that isn't gonna pull something, but you need to get your blood moving for at least five minutes.

stretch.

do your normal workout

stretch again before you go home.

stretching will improve your flexibility, and the more flexible you are, the less likely you are to have a muscular injury.

I know i do.
If I skip a day it feels like something is missing.
Miss a few days and I start to feel out of sorts.
Week or more and I feel like crap.

I prefer to strech when warm already, I find it easier.
Go with how your body feels.

"Streaching has been a major part of life in many styles, and they've been because they help"
You´re right.
Stretching after actual exercise is good too as it helps you to prevent having sore muscles after some time,as like the next day.But I have not been that much to that,it is called "cool down stretching" at times.
And as others noted,it is wise to warm-up before the stretch,stretching cold muscles is no good.

Latest Discussions

Back