Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From Slashdot
Collapsed UK Bank Attempts to Censor Wikileaks

Posted by CmdrTaco on Monday January 21, @09:00AM
from the this'll-only-happen-more dept.

James Hardine writes "Wikileaks has released a couple of hilarious legal demands over a confidential briefing memo entitled Project Wing — Northern Rock Executive Summary. Northern Rock Bank (UK) collapsed spectacularly late last year on the back of the sub-prime lending crisis and was re-floated by the Bank of England at a cost of over £24bn. The memo was used by the Financial Times, the Telegraph and others. It attracted a number of censorship injunctions, as reported by the Guardian, which only Wikileaks continues to withstand. In their legal demand to Wikileaks, Northern Rock's well-known media lawyers, Schillings, invoke the DMCA & WIPO, claim it'll be 10 years in prison for Wikileaks operators for not following the UK injunction, but then, incredibly, refuse to hand over a copy of the order unless Wikileaks' London lawyers promise not to give it to Wikileaks. Finally they claim copyright and more — on their demands! The letters raise a serious issue about the climate of censorship in the UK, where one can apparently easily obtain a censorship order — a judge made law — that everyone is meant to obey, but no one is meant to know."

An interesting read. "We have this court order, but you can't see it unless you promise not to tell anyone what it says."

Ok, I promise. Cross my heart and hope to die -- stick a needle in my eye.

Now can I read it?

:rolleyes:

Back