"Can you teach some jiu-jitsu tomorrow?"

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm visiting my old TKD school, and my Master asked if I'd show the class a little jiu-jitsu. I'll probably have around 5-10 minutes to teach and drill something to a group of people that have 0 experience on the ground. Even though the class will be in uniform, it is not designed for grappling, so I will consider this effectively no-gi.

I'd like to do something easy, safe, and flashy to teach them. Something fun that most folks (including kids) should be able to hit in drill with no experience. I'm not trying to prove any points or sway any opinions with this demo. I just want to teach something fun.

What would you teach in my situation?

5-10 minutes isn't really enough to teach anything and drill it enough to make any sort of effect. Assuming I was actually good at BJJ, I'd still be asking for either more time or just refuse.

If I decided to do it anyway, or got the time (and again was good enough to teach), I'd set up a mount->side control->guard game, or teach how to go from a throw directly into an arm bar, using a hapkido throw to make it a bit easier for them to learn.

5-10 minutes isn't really enough to teach anything and drill it enough to make any sort of effect. Assuming I was actually good at BJJ, I'd still be asking for either more time or just refuse.

If I decided to do it anyway, or got the time (and again was good enough to teach), I'd set up a mount->side control->guard game, or teach how to go from a throw directly into an arm bar, using a hapkido throw to make it a bit easier for them to learn.
I'm thinking of it more as a treat and an interactive demo than really to teach something. Which is why my biggest focus was to make it fun.

A drill we sometimes do with beginners in my BJJ gym is break guard - shuffle to side control - mount, then the other person will do a bump-and-roll escape into the other person's guard and start the drill over. I think this would be a good option if it's followed by a second drill (maybe a guard sweep to mount and then submission).

I like the idea of the Hapkido throw for the advanced class. Alternatively I could do the opening drill with them, and then do a couple of submission sequences from closed guard: sweep to mount and Ezekiel punch choke (I just want to sneak that in) and then an Omoplata wristlock.

I may also just do a basic take-down into submission sequence like we do in the tot's class in BJJ.

I like this better than my ideas actually. Most useful things would be teaching them how to get back to their feet, or defend a takedown. Might not be as 'fun' as a submission, but it'll have more practical use for them.
Side control escape to back to cartwheel stand up?

Latest Discussions

Back