A simple way to get faster.

Tigerwarrior

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've found a simple way to get faster. More simple than the things I've seen online recommended. Here it is, you want to get faster? Train with someone faster than you, do drills together. You will have to move faster and faster to keep up with them. Eventually it will be easy to keep up with them. But the first week or two will be frustrating. But this is what I've been doing and it's working for me. Obviously if you pick someone with bruce lee speed you will just get frustrated, pick someone at your same level who is naturally faster than you. So yeah try it out if you want. I'm a big guy so I'm not the fastest, but trying to keep up with smaller people who are naturally faster is helping me improve. This is the best way i have found so far. Let me know what you think.

you want to get faster? Train with someone faster than you,
Agree with you 100% on this.

I always like to wrestle/spar against someone who is heavier than me. One day my teacher wanted me to spar/wrestle with a lightweight person. I suddenly realized that I had to be in full alert and not to be lazy anymore.

In one tournament, I competed in super-heavy weight division (I was in heavy weight). I felt those super-heavy guys were so slow.

I've found a simple way to get faster. More simple than the things I've seen online recommended. Here it is, you want to get faster? Train with someone faster than you, do drills together. You will have to move faster and faster to keep up with them. Eventually it will be easy to keep up with them. But the first week or two will be frustrating. But this is what I've been doing and it's working for me. Obviously if you pick someone with bruce lee speed you will just get frustrated, pick someone at your same level who is naturally faster than you. So yeah try it out if you want. I'm a big guy so I'm not the fastest, but trying to keep up with smaller people who are naturally faster is helping me improve. This is the best way i have found so far. Let me know what you think.
Speed is a relative term. A runner may think he's fast, and he may be, till he comes across a world class sprinter. Going against someone faster changes your perception and shows you that there may be a higher bar to shoot for, motivating you to greater effort in finding ways to improve.

But there are multiple ways to make yourself faster. Some physical like not winding up, prepositioning to give your body a head start or speed drills. Some psychological. Ed Parker gave me an example of visualizing a drawn bow with an arrow nocked. When you loose the arrow it just spontaneously takes off. This concept greatly increased the speed of my punches, especially the jab. The feeling is as if your hand is being pulled by an unseen force, rather than you pushing it out. If you consciously try to be fast, this effort will slow you down. Relaxation and spontaneity I think are two main keys.

There’s a lot of ways, and some specific exercises, to increase speed. I’ve taught a few seminars on the subject.

BUT, better timing will beat speed almost every time.

That has merit. People tend to go pretty slow on pads.

Train with JKD guys, they tend to be incredibly fast

I found that all JKD guys tend to be more quick than they are fast. I can deal with fast a whole lot easier than I can deal with quick.

I got beat up by so many JKD guys over the years I’m surprised they didn’t give me some kind of award for blocking with my face.

Agree with you 100% on this.

I always like to wrestle/spar against someone who is heavier than me. One day my teacher wanted me to spar/wrestle with a lightweight person. I suddenly realized that I had to be in full alert and not to be lazy anymore.

In one tournament, I competed in super-heavy weight division (I was in heavy weight). I felt those super-heavy guys were so slow.
I've seen this type of training done a few ways in the past. Used to train at an mma gym. One of the guys had a fight coming up so he wanted to only roll with heavier people because his opponent was bigger. Also my coach thought rolling with me would make him stronger for his upcoming fight, so he had me get side control on him and start from there, his mission was to escape side control. I guess he felt if he could get out from under me, it would be a walk in the park for the other 145 guy he was fighting. But yeah I consider that type of training good too.

Only ever trained with one before. But he was fast. I was faster at stick work, but I have no doubt he could eye jab me faster than I could him. It's easy to be faster than someone who's just starting out, if I would of went to his jkd class he probably would of rocked my world.

I found that all JKD guys tend to be more quick than they are fast. I can deal with fast a whole lot easier than I can deal with quick.

I got beat up by so many JKD guys over the years I’m surprised they didn’t give me some kind of award for blocking with my face.
I would agree…quick

The blocking with your face bit I’ll take your word on 😀

I have to say, my wing chun Sifu is as quick as any JKD guy I’ve known. One the reasons I feel like an old uncoordinated geezer in his class. But even with that JKD guys scare me more ☺️

Only ever trained with one before. But he was fast. I was faster at stick work, but I have no doubt he could eye jab me faster than I could him. It's easy to be faster than someone who's just starting out, if I would have went to his jkd class he probably would have rocked my world.
The kicking speed and speed of the foot work amazes me

The kicking speed and speed of the foot work amazes me
They throw kicks like a boxer throws jab cross hook combos, speed wise. I've seen videos of guys like Tommy caruthers (sorry if I misspelled the last name) they are lightning fast kicks.

I would agree…quick

The blocking with your face bit I’ll take your word on 😀

I have to say, my wing chun Sifu is as quick as any JKD guy I’ve known. One the reasons I feel like an old uncoordinated geezer in his class. But even with that JKD guys scare me more ☺️

The people who’ve given me the most fits over the years are Jits guys, wrestlers, Capoeira guys, MMA guys, JKD guys and old, mean, pissed off Karate guys.

Back