Why Are People So Stupid With Guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you suggest we do that? I mean, specifically in this situation.
It’s not possible to deal with it outside of punishment for breaking a law.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It’s not possible to deal with it outside of punishment for breaking a law.
Just give up. Nothing to be done? I don’t think that’s entirely true.

Look, there are a few main ways society deals with stuff like this. We can regulate it to make it safer, make the activity more exclusive, or both. Kids aren’t killed working at the old mill anymore because we passed child labor laws. Construction workers are safer in no small part due to OSHA. My kid just got a brand new helmet that is safer than the old hard hats this year. Progress made all the time. And so on.

Cars are ubiquitous, and not everyone is a good driver. So cars are made safer each year. Air bags, crumple zones, collision detection, blind spot monitors. Every generation of cars is safer than the last.

Guns, though. Just hope justice will prevail, I guess.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just give up. Nothing to be done? I don’t think that’s entirely true.

Look, there are a few main ways society deals with stuff like this. We can regulate it to make it safer, make the activity more exclusive, or both. Kids aren’t killed working at the old mill anymore because we passed child labor laws. Construction workers are safer in no small part due to OSHA. My kid just got a brand new helmet that is safer than the old hard hats this year. Progress made all the time. And so on.

Cars are ubiquitous, and not everyone is a good driver. So cars are made safer each year. Air bags, crumple zones, collision detection, blind spot monitors. Every generation of cars is safer than the last.

Guns, though. Just hope justice will prevail, I guess.
I can’t respond without it being a political post. Sorry.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the main answer/debate on how to prevent death from civilians with guns is political in nature, at least in the US.
I agree that there are things we can do better.
I can’t respond without it being a political post. Sorry.
You already answered. Just hope justice prevails. We are good. 👍

Mallic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Honestly my big issue with the whole gun debate is that when it comes down to it, pro-gun types tend to be indifferent at best in regard to this sort of thing as long as THEIR stuff is protected, as long as they can have their guns and can protect their rights, they really don't care about how it affects other people.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly my big issue with the whole gun debate is that when it comes down to it, pro-gun types tend to be indifferent at best in regard to this sort of thing as long as THEIR stuff is protected, as long as they can have their guns and can protect their rights, they really don't care about how it affects other people.
Stereotype much? I think that may hold true in certain portions of said population, but I don’t believe that is what the majority believes.

Last edited:

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rights vs privileges is a part of this discussion. A license to drive is a privilege, gun ownership is a right. Some may find that fact distasteful. We have a system and an opportunity in this country to change the things we find distasteful.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rights vs privileges is a part of this discussion. A license to drive is a privilege, gun ownership is a right. Some may find that fact distasteful. We have a system and an opportunity in this country to change the things we find distasteful.
And some rights are inalienable.

Mallic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Then I guess I have the unpopular opinion, cause i do genuinely believe gun ownership is a privilege that should be earned, just like not everyone should be allowed to drive, not everyone should be allowed to wield a gun, too many instances of irresponsible idiots to tell me otherwise.

But like i said, some people seem to only care that their rights are protected.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then I guess I have the unpopular opinion, cause i do genuinely believe gun ownership is a privilege that should be earned, just like not everyone should be allowed to drive, not everyone should be allowed to wield a gun, too many instances of irresponsible idiots to tell me otherwise.

But like i said, some people seem to only care that their rights are protected.
You can believe whatever you want and say it too, that is also a right. I defend your right to say what you believe, but that does not make what you say a fact. Are you an American? If you are, then you live in a place of liberty and rights that were afforded to you by the sacrifices of many others. Nothing is perfect, but you are also afforded a right to vote, that is an opportunity to change the things you don’t like or believe in. That opportunity is a liberty not found in many countries. I do care about rights, yours, mine, and everyone’s. We don’t get to take people’s rights unless they break laws.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How, on any plane is smart, sound gun training political?
The question very quickly turns to - is that training required to own a gun? Should everyone be able to carry one whether or not they complete training? Add in questions about who should be allowed to have guns (ie: someone with a history of using guns badly, or anger issues, or depression), and these are all a very politicized topic.

Mallic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The question very quickly turns to - is that training required to own a gun? Should everyone be able to carry one whether or not they complete training? Add in questions about who should be allowed to have guns (ie: someone with a history of using guns badly, or anger issues, or depression), and these are all a very politicized topic.
I mean it should just like literally any other weapon that has ever been made. But because to a lot of gun activists, Guns=Freedom, to them you restrict guns in anyway and you're restricting freedom.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I mean it should just like literally any other weapon that has ever been made. But because to a lot of gun activists, Guns=Freedom, to them you restrict guns in anyway and you're restricting freedom.
And the discussions around this are where we get political, which again is not allowed on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions