Well that's new..... or newish

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Per Yang family edict, Yang Chengfu taught Yang family taijiquan to his students.... so his students (in my case Tung Ying Chieh) could teach Yang Taijiquan. Tung Shigong taught my Shifu Yang taijiquan. However my Shifu cannot teach Yang Family Taijiquan, but he can train it. What he teaches would be Tung style or a style of his own. Now getting to me, I cannot learn or teach Yang style taijiquan, even though I trained it for 30 years. Welcome to Yang family politics.

But that point is actually moot, after 30 years I discovered I can no longer get myself to do traditional Yang style Taijiquan. So I worked with the Sun style short form I know, which I changed a bit, based on my Xingyiquan background. And I decided to do the fisrt form I ever learned, from my first shifu, the Beijing 24 form (aka Yang 24 form). However as I did the form I felt it was lacking a few things, so I started to change it, it also, IMO, disrupted the flow at one point, kind of a hard stop IMO (the snake creeps down bit, which I removed and replaced) My 24 form looked very traditional to begin with and I added some postures from the Yang 108 (or 88 depending on how you count). So right now I think it is about 50 postures. So, for the purposes of MT I will call it Xue style Taijiquan (not what I am actually calling it by the way,, since it is no longer 24 and I cannot have even learned Yang style, little alone teach it. And I think after 30 years, it is really no big deal that I say I have my own style of taijiquan. Currently it only has 2 forms, the 50 and a 13 postures form, However for the record, the 13 postures form is still a work in progress.

Beyond that I will be pursuing traditional Sun style.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Per Yang family edict, Yang Chengfu taught Yang family taijiquan to his students.... so his students (in my case Tung Ying Chieh) could teach Yang Taijiquan. Tung Shigong taught my Shifu Yang taijiquan. However my Shifu cannot teach Yang Family Taijiquan, but he can train it. What he teaches would be Tung style or a style of his own. Now getting to me, I cannot learn or teach Yang style taijiquan, even though I trained it for 30 years. Welcome to Yang family politics.

But that point is actually moot, after 30 years I discovered I can no longer get myself to do traditional Yang style Taijiquan. So I worked with the Sun style short form I know, which I changed a bit, based on my Xingyiquan background. And I decided to do the fisrt form I ever learned, from my first shifu, the Beijing 24 form (aka Yang 24 form). However as I did the form I felt it was lacking a few things, so I started to change it, it also, IMO, disrupted the flow at one point, kind of a hard stop IMO (the snake creeps down bit, which I removed and replaced) My 24 form looked very traditional to begin with and I added some postures from the Yang 108 (or 88 depending on how you count). So right now I think it is about 50 postures. So, for the purposes of MT I will call it Xue style Taijiquan (not what I am actually calling it by the way,, since it is no longer 24 and I cannot have even learned Yang style, little alone teach it. And I think after 30 years, it is really no big deal that I say I have my own style of taijiquan. Currently it only has 2 forms, the 50 and a 13 postures form, However for the record, the 13 postures form is still a work in progress.

Yeah. Unrealistic wishes. Like I've always said. Martials art tells us to swallow our ego then things like this happen.

gyoja

3rd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Congratulations!

Latest Discussions