Please Help Me With Kungfu

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Name ??! Its not the name that fascinated me I know more bunch of fascinating name than Lung Ying all I was influenced was by its principle and its moves, the fluidity in transition from one posture, and all the forms of It.
So which principles did you like?

If you liked the fluidity and forms, I'd recommend bagua or even taiji. Jusy the fluidity, I'd recommend kali or silat. What else besides tkd is in your area? While most on here wont recommend online training, if you live in an area with options we may have a good idea of what you should check out.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you wish to learn this, you must be willing to move somewhere where you can train directly with a good teacher. There simply is no other way to do it.

You are an engineering student in India. This is a good opportunity. Finish your degree, then move to San Francisco, California. You will find good employment as an engineer. You can study here: Dragon House MMA

Sifu Luo teaches Southern Dragon, among other things, although his school seems to be heavily focused on MMA type training and competition. So I don’t know how much Dragon he still teaches. I’ve never trained with him but I met him briefly when he first moved to San Francisco. He seemed like a nice guy at the time. The first school that he opened was a few blocks up the street from where I was living at the time.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you wish to learn this, you must be willing to move somewhere where you can train directly with a good teacher. There simply is no other way to do it.

You are an engineering student in India. This is a good opportunity. Finish your degree, then move to San Francisco, California. You will find good employment as an engineer. You can study here: Dragon House MMA

Sifu Luo teaches Southern Dragon, among other things, although his school seems to be heavily focused on MMA type training and competition. So I don’t know how much Dragon he still teaches. I’ve never trained with him but I met him briefly when he first moved to San Francisco. He seemed like a nice guy at the time. The first school that he opened was a few blocks up the street from where I was living at the time.
(Just a g'day to you Flying Crane, really nice to hear from you here and truly hoping you've been going well)

Appledog

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi. Let's say I am willing to help you. Let's also say I happen to know southern shaolin dragon kungfu (I do, kind of). I also know a local sifu who teaches it, who I could introduce you. So there is immediately a group. The question now is, since you don't want online instruction, either you have to come to us or we have to come to you.

I'm busy, because I work full time. If you can cover my work expenses and travel costs, I will come to you (really). It is probably better if you come here (I live in Taiwan). It's cheap here, and we can train as often as you like. The cost will be approximately $2,000 USD per month. Your living costs will be $1,000 which includes food, drink, transportation and entertainment. The other $1,000 will go towards training fees such as clothing, special equipment, space, and teacher's fees. There is also a way you can learn for free but you will still have to pay for food and rent, etc.

The benefit is you get to become a kungfu master. The question is, if you are really willing to move to a different country and spend $30,000 a year or so, why not just take some online courses first and see if it is really what you want to do? Maybe get some DVDs and learn by yourself for a while? Then when you have questions you can ask here, or find some kungfu friends to ask in DM? It seems simpler and easier. Do you really want to go through all the trouble of upending your life to really learn kungfu?

callagon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This is my first post sorry for any violation.

I wants to learn dragon kungfu for sake of my own interests. I am just fascinated by it. I tried to get consoled by learning some other style but still nothing interests me.

There are no dojos or even any sifu available nearby, and I dont want online classes I already had a lot of them for school and i will not be able to attend them flexibly.

Can U people please guide me how should I start, What steps should I take to get to a decent level ( I also don't expect to be an expert without proper conditioning) cause I can't find any complete tutorial about it on youtube or whole internet either and I want to learn it desparately. 😭😭

At this point all I know that there are two Schools — Southern shaolin(mostly punches ) and Northern Shaolin(most moves are kicks). And There are 16 form in dragon KungFu. Particularly I want to learn Southern Dragon KungFu(Lung Ying)

Can anyone please guide me🙇🙇

I will be highly obliged

Thanks and regards
i train northern shao lin, and its hard even in my area to find a school that will give you everything you need. with that said, check out
fo starting training. check on shi heng yi on youtube. he goes through a few forms in detail and recommends certain books to supplement. the primary thing is if you don't have a teacher to point out the focuses and such. it falls to you to be that person. recommended learning on why certain training is done and what purpose is it for other than to punch etc. for instance the hand position used in tung lung which is also used in shao lin is sometimes used as a place holder for a grab. it doesn't mean that its always supposed to look like this. most of the forms you will see will either be set up to hide the real techniques or keep to a neutral path in which movements in the form have multiple applications but look increasingly different. yet it all stems from the same movement.

callagon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Can u name or tell me about any BOOK or WEBSITE even i am ready to get through books too just to learn. I am not like I want to bluff around but It's just like a dream for me which I want to achieve. Might sound Superficial but actually true.
5 volume series.
shaolin gong fu a course in traditional forms
for minor treatment
A tooth from the Tigers Mouth
suplimentary reading for applications and training thought
The Theory and Practice of Historical Martial Arts

kfman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Being in India makes it difficult to find a teacher. I teach the Five Family Style which includes the dragon. I have a very good way of teaching online by swapping videos with critiquing. It's a more personalized way and affordable. For a complete descripton of the style, go to: www.kungfuwest.com. My email address is there.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Already it's a quite rare style and finding a teacher would also be not easy.

I was influenced was by its principle and its moves, the fluidity in transition from one posture, and all the forms of It.

Just a question because I am curious....

This style is apparently very rare and hard to find.... Where did you see it? You claimed to be influenced by the fluidity, the forms and the moves..... So, where did you see this art? Further.... how do you know that what you saw was the real Dragon Kung Fu? How do you know that what you saw, was not really Tae Kwon Do with a little Karate and a little Silat mixed in? (this has been known to happen... people learn a little of a few different arts, put what they learned together and call it something that sounds cool, or something they heard in a movie or even something that is real just not well known...)

It would be very unfortunate for you to change your entire life, pack up and move to a new country... only to find out that real Dragon Kung Fu is not anything like what you saw and then dreamed about learning.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you get a book or DVD, without a good teacher, all you'll learn at best is something that resembles the choreography.
You'll be pretending to do a martial art.

If that's all you want, well, then, get a DVD like the one Xue Sheng recommended.

callagon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This form came from Shaolin dragon form.

so it looks like you need the why over the how am I right? you see the forms but don't have the why are they using that specific strike or what muscles do they tighten to complete the strike

let me know if I'm wrong. but if you want to get started while you search for a teacher. might I suggest starting with shao lin stance and basic forms first? that way you don't waste any time while you learn more of your style you want.

a day not training is a day you cant get back

Last edited:

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I wants to learn dragon kungfu for sake of my own interests. I am just fascinated by it. I tried to get consoled by learning some other style but still nothing interests me...
A recent interview on Dragon kung fu with Sifu Zhong Luo in San Francisco.

Latest Discussions