A Tale of Courage from the Marvelous Monk Wong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wong Follower

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As many of you know, I'm a disciple of the great Monk Wong.

Many years ago, Monk Wong was training in Jian by the ancient lake near the Leopard Temple, and happened to have a large amount of gold bullion on his person. Out of nowhere, a gang of thieves surrounded him and said, "Oi Wong, hand over the dosh." Now Monk Wong is also a master in spiritual tolerance, and so attempted the way of peace, saying, "I can see you are a noble band of thieves. Heed the warning and be on your way." Sadly for the gang, the didn't listen.

Within seconds Wong had disarmed every single one of them and dished out a fair few knuckle sandwiches on the way.

I often recall this episode during my own training. The key lesson = first try the way of peace. If this doesn't work, no more Mr Nice Guy.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Many years ago, Monk Wong was training in Jian by the ancient lake
Most lakes are ancient.
near the Leopard Temple, and happened to have a large amount of gold bullion on his person.
That sounds very suspicious. If that happened today and the police stopped you, they’d think you were a miscreant!
Out of nowhere,
If he’s by a lake there’s a very limited number of directions anyone could approach you, let alone a gang of thieves.
a gang of thieves surrounded him and said, "Oi Wong, hand over the dosh."
Suspicious! How did they know he had the gold bullion?
Now Monk Wong is also a master in spiritual tolerance, and so attempted the way of peace, saying, "I can see you are a noble band of thieves. Heed the warning and be on your way." Sadly for the gang, the didn't listen.
So Monk Wong made only one, rather derisory attempt at defusing the situation?
Within seconds Wong had disarmed every single one of them
Seconds? Working that fast, relativistic factors would’ve been significant.
and dished out a fair few knuckle sandwiches on the way.
So unnecessary. What spiritual path was this ‘monk’ following, for goodness sake?
I often recall this episode during my own training. The key lesson = first try the way of peace. If this doesn't work, no more Mr Nice Guy.
You mean, half-heartedly try the way of piece, do your best to make it work and if it doesn’t use excessive force forgetting that the thieves may have been starving with malnourished children or debts to pay to a dreadful landlord who threatened to take away their fingers, toes and teeth unless they paid his excessive taxes…a reason to steal when there was no other option.

There're much better myths that make good training foundations, than this.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s one with an explanation-

Kesa no hitotachi no Seishin

Even the gravest of sinner should be shown the path of good men……

The Mindset of Kesa no Hitotachi

‘Do not draw or force others to draw their swords. Do not cut, do not force others to cut. Do not kill, do not be killed. Even if one encounters the greatest sinners, one should, with kindness, offer sermon and show them the path of good men. If the worst occurs and they do not conform then, without hesitation, apply kesa uchi and send them to Buddha!’

This seishin (mindset) seems quite simple. In fact it has remained largely untouched for over 450 years: it has only changed when the Japanese language changed or someone changes a verb ending. However, in Japanese, it is riddled with ambiguities which I have tried to keep by leaving some of the Japanese terms most Iai practitioners would understand, untouched.

The Japanese used takes on the imperative form as used to express direct orders of forbiddance. For example, in the first line, ‘Do not draw’. The nuance of this is lost or reduced when translated into English as it lacks any verbal form which has the same impact as the imperative form has with Japanese. In addition, the second part of the first two sentences takes on the causative form which is used to express permission. It is also used to express a cause and effect process of making/forcing someone to do something and this is where the first major ambiguity occurs.
If one translates Kesa no Hitotachi in the imperative, with the mentality of letting someone do something: ‘Do not draw, do not allow them to draw. Do not cut, do not allow them to cut you…’ then we have the feeling of not giving the enemy the chance to do anything, completely suppressing them. This conjures a very dominant, controlling image, one that implies if the opponent even attempts to strike, do not let them and use kesa uchi to kill them. The causative form, on the other hand implies the true meaning. We should not force anyone to draw on us, nor draw ourselves and thus encourage a response. ‘Even if the gravest of sinners….’ In other words,one should avoid conflict even with most evil of criminals in favour of showing them the true way One must lead by example.

The next major stumbling block for non-Japanese speakers and natives alike is regards kesauchi. This is why I left kesauchi in my translation. If I were to translate it in it’s true meaning then the ambiguity and the “ah ha” moment would be lost. Again, I mistranslate it to what most mistake it to mean, in order to hide the hidden meaning, then it would not have made sense!
In sword arts the word kesauchi tends to go hand-in-hand and as a synonym for kesagiri. However the suffixes are different, but uchi (to strike) and kiri (to cut) are often used interchangeably. For example, uchi-oroshi and kiri-oroshi both refer to a downward cut with a sword. Uchi-otoshi and kiri-otoshi refer to cutting something off or removing them, such as the enemy’s limbs or head.
Many koryu (such as Mugai Ryū), prefer to cut along the kesa as opposed to makkō (a vertical overhead cut). One of the remaining Hayashizaki schools still cuts kesa rather than makkō. Perhaps this is because thr torso presents a bigger target and there is more chance of severing major major blood vessels and damaging internal organs with even a slight blow. It is also harder to avoid an angles cut. Therefore the majority assume the last sentence of the Seishin refers to a form of cutting – ‘….then without hesitation apply kesauchi and send them to Buddha’ in other words, if the opponent still does not venture down the righteous path, then cut them down and send them to their afterlife.

However, as with most aspects of Budō, the meaning of kesauchi is far deeper than a mere cut. There are no teaching of harming other in the dreams that Hayashizaki received from the kami of Myōjin. In Japan, Buddhist priests wear a small scarf- or shawl-like vestige hung diagonally from shoulder to around the upper hip hip, known as ‘Okesa’ (see figure 1).

1714311876135.png
1714311876207.png
1714311876280.png

Figure 1. Okesa as worn by Zen Buddhist monks

Often seen in Jidaigeki drama or old Japanese cinema, when Buddhist priest wishes to save someone from their misdeeds, they would take off their kesa, and place it round the neck of the sinner in order to absolve them, rescue the from punishment and teach them ‘the way’. In turn, they would become a fellow monk walking the true path, shave their heads and their previous from would vanish from this world.

This shows the teachings of Myōjin instruct the kesa no hitotachi (the Kesa Sword) refers to a way of never harming the innocent and that even encounters of someone guilty of a crime, the ‘Kesa Sword’ should be drawn, kesauchi be performed in order to send them on the true path to Buddha. One must overcome one’s own difficulties and show others a self without sin. By aimlessly cutting people down, one falls into sin oneself, so conflict is avoided unless to save other. If someone tries to cut us down, we must show them the path in order to save others. After all, if one is killed then one has failed to protect the next victim from being killed too!

One further interpretation can be found if kesa and uchi are separated and it is read as uchikakeru. Uchikekeru is the old reading for bukkakeru, meaning to throw something onto something or over someone. This adds a further level of mystery and ambiguity as it would obviously refer to casting the okesa around someone’s neck.

Expanding on the meaning of Kesa no Hitotachi can be found in Kimura Sensei’s book and was passed on by his student Nukata Hiashi Hanshi Kyudan, Kendo Hanshi Hachidan and his students.
‘That is to say that because the opponent makes contact with his sword, we make contact with our sword. Because the opponent begins to rise up, we also begin to rise up. Because the opponent attempts to draw and cut, then we seize the initiative and perform nukitsuke first’

There are some more interesting linguistic points used in this follow-up sentence, again I have tried to keep a level of mystery in the translation as best I can. Usually in Japanese, the dictionary form followed by ‘kara’ means ‘because’. Thus the sentence would become:

‘because the opponent makes contact with the sword, we make contact…’
Once again we can see that the true nature of the Hayashizaki style is one of reaction and avoidance of conflict. Further reiterating the fact that even if we sense malcontent we do not act upon it until the opponent acts upon it. Additionally, the sentence does not say anything about the opponent grasping the sword, merely putting his hands on it. The moment one grasps the sword is the moment one has shown the intent to draw. So in reaction to a slight movement, we merely make contact with the sword in a slight movement, still not making the effort to draw until the opponent has whole-heartedly decided they will attempt to cut us down.

There is further emphasis on not harming the opponent unless absolutely necessary by the wording in the last sentence. In reference to the opponent it says, ‘If the opponent attempts to draw and cut…’ The fact it says ‘attempts to’ is extremely important. It states that the attempt is not successful as we seize the initiative. It further mentions how we perform nukitsuke by saying nukitsuke and not nukitsuke-kiru as it did with the opponent. It demonstrates that the cutting intent is not present in our actions.

Kamimoto Eiichi, Iai Hanshi Kyudan, Kendo Hanshi Hachidan, mentions and interview recorded for the book, Iai no Meijin, that the suffic tsuke(ru) used in the term nukitsuke refers to the controlling and forestalling of an opponent. The nukitsuke performed using Kesa no Hitotachi no Seishin is the same. One should perform nukitsuke to control the opponent just before the cut you., therefore giving them the option to stop anytime (referring to showing them the true way, which is not killing, the path of good men). But if they do not yield, then one applies the true principles of kesauchi, absolving them of their sins and sending them to Buddha.

I have never heard this concept discussed outside Japan, nor even in Japan until relatively recently, yet I feel it is a crucial part of Iai that one should always bear mind while training or dealing with everyday situations.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I have finished my last cut and ‘swinging the blood’ from my sword, I always say in my mind, to my fallen enemy, ‘Please- rise up to your gods’.

gyoja

3rd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Many years ago, Monk Wong was training in Jian by the ancient lake near the Leopard Temple, and happened to have a large amount of gold bullion on his person. Out of nowhere, a gang of thieves surrounded him and said, "Oi Wong, hand over the dosh." Now Monk Wong is also a master in spiritual tolerance, and so attempted the way of peace, saying, "I can see you are a noble band of thieves. Heed the warning and be on your way." Sadly for the gang, the didn't listen.

Within seconds Wong had disarmed every single one of them and dished out a fair few knuckle sandwiches on the way.

🤥

OP
W

Wong Follower

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Most lakes are ancient.

That sounds very suspicious. If that happened today and the police stopped you, they’d think you were a miscreant!

If he’s by a lake there’s a very limited number of directions anyone could approach you, let alone a gang of thieves.

Suspicious! How did they know he had the gold bullion?

So Monk Wong made only one, rather derisory attempt at defusing the situation?

Seconds? Working that fast, relativistic factors would’ve been significant.

So unnecessary. What spiritual path was this ‘monk’ following, for goodness sake?

You mean, half-heartedly try the way of piece, do your best to make it work and if it doesn’t use excessive force forgetting that the thieves may have been starving with malnourished children or debts to pay to a dreadful landlord who threatened to take away their fingers, toes and teeth unless they paid his excessive taxes…a reason to steal when there was no other option.

There're much better myths that make good training foundations, than this.

Well well well, I was wondering when the jealousy would start. Okay, let's address these points.

1. Ancient Lake - this one is known as such by locals. Let's not forget that some lakes are not ancient.
  2. Grow up mate - no police in the mountains of China. In these regions the way of the sword takes priority.
  3. The gang of thieves were opportunists, roaming the land looking for a quick buck. They didn't have prior knowledge of Monk Wong's bullion.
  4. Mong Wong could tell the ruffians meant business, so no point in any further attempts to diffuse the situation.
  5. Seconds it was - I saw it with my own eyes.
  6. Monk Wong follows the spiritual teachings of his teacher, Abbot Wu.
  7. But the gang of thieves were not malnourished children, they were fully grown wrong-doers. I think you have a vivid imagination there my friend. I saw these thieves and knew they were proper ruffians.

I hope we've all learned a thing or two from this true life story.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well well well, I was wondering when the jealousy would start. Okay, let's address these points.
Is that how you interpret my questions? Suspicious…🤔
  1. Ancient Lake - this one is known as such by locals. Let's not forget that some lakes are not ancient.
Can you tell me where it is so I can find it on Google maps?
  1. Grow up mate - no police in the mountains of China. In these regions the way of the sword takes priority.
You misunderstand, if the police where you are now stopped you and you had a load of gold bullion on you, they’d think you were a thief or a drug dealer….or a gold dealer, I suppose. So why did he have gold bullion on him?
  1. The gang of thieves were opportunists, roaming the land looking for a quick buck. They didn't have prior knowledge of Monk Wong's bullion.
Sounds like central Manchester.
  1. Mong Wong could tell the ruffians meant business, so no point in any further attempts to diffuse the situation.
What kind of monk was he? Of what religion?
  1. Seconds it was - I saw it with my own eyes.
It must be true then.
  1. Monk Wong follows the spiritual teachings of his teacher, Abbot Wu.
And what does Abbot Wu follow. Is he Buddhist, Taoist, Confucianist? None of these are keen on the use of unnecessary violence.
  1. But the gang of thieves were not malnourished children, they were fully grown wrong-doers.
I said WITH malnourished children, not malnourished children themselves.
  1. I think you have a vivid imagination there my friend.
Have you heard of the psychological phenomenon of projection?
  1. I saw these thieves and knew they were proper ruffians.
Swag bags and eye masks, no doubt.
I hope we've all learned a thing or two from this true life story.
Nothing very positive, I’m afraid.

Now, let me tell you of the time I met Edward Van Halen….

OP
W

Wong Follower

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Is that how you interpret my questions? Suspicious…🤔

Can you tell me where it is so I can find it on Google maps?

You misunderstand, if the police where you are now stopped you and you had a load of gold bullion on you, they’d think you were a thief or a drug dealer….or a gold dealer, I suppose. So why did he have gold bullion on him?

Sounds like central Manchester.

What kind of monk was he? Of what religion?

It must be true then.

And what does Abbot Wu follow. Is he Buddhist, Taoist, Confucianist? None of these are keen on the use of unnecessary violence.

I said WITH malnourished children, not malnourished children themselves.

Have you heard of the psychological phenomenon of projection?

Swag bags and eye masks, no doubt.

Nothing very positive, I’m afraid.

Now, let me tell you of the time I met Edward Van Halen….

Okay, let's address these follow-up points.

1. Google maps? I think Monk Wong would be pretty upset with me if I revealed the exact location of the famed Leopard Temple on an internet forum.
  2. Monk Wong had gold bullion on him from a student - this man had just learned the secrets of the heron fist from Monk Wong, and gave a generous donation to the Leopard Temple to say thank you.
  3. Monk Wong follows his own path, which takes the best of Buddhist, Taoist and Confucianist principles. It is a wise and noble path, reserved for the very few.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, let's address these follow-up points.

1. Google maps? I think Monk Wong would be pretty upset with me if I revealed the exact location of the famed Leopard Temple on an internet forum.
Just the lake, not his house or anything. Which country is he in?
  1. Monk Wong had gold bullion on him from a student - this man had just learned the secrets of the heron fist from Monk Wong, and gave a generous donation to the Leopard Temple to say thank you.
He teaches ‘secrets’ eh?
  1. Monk Wong follows his own path, which takes the best of Buddhist, Taoist and Confucianist principles. It is a wise and noble path, reserved for the very few.
Oh just like Master Ken of Ameridote.

OP
W

Wong Follower

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just the lake, not his house or anything. Which country is he in?

He teaches ‘secrets’ eh?

Oh just like Master Ken of Ameridote.

Country = China.
Secrets = yes, to the senior students. Otherwise they will be lost.
Master Ken = I'm not acquainted with this man.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
W

Wong Follower

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Right.

There aren’t really any secrets in the martial arts, are there. Withholding teaching is a way of holding onto students and their money!

No he is very famous. Every. atrial artist worth his salt knows of him.
Secrets - this is where you are wrong my friend. The secrets of Wong's style are known only to a few; we don't want them ending up in the wrong hands.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Secrets - this is where you are wrong my friend. The secrets of Wong's style are known only to a few; we don't want them ending up in the wrong hands.
<shudder> The very thought of it, especially in those big fisted Southern style dudes😳

OP
W

Wong Follower

Orange Belt
Reaction score
<shudder> The very thought of it, especially in those big fisted Southern style dudes😳
Yes, some southern stylists are very powerful. I once crossed hands with a Hung Gar master in Hong Kong who had bad intentions. Luckily I'd been training for quite some time by then and had mastered the graceful footwork of the north.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, some southern stylists are very powerful. I once crossed hands with a Hung Gar master in Hong Kong who had bad intentions. Luckily I'd been training for quite some time by then and had mastered the graceful footwork of the north.
I believe Michael Flatley Shifu learned that very same footwork and based his school upon it. He’s got small fists.

OP
W

Wong Follower

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I believe Michael Flatley Shifunlearned that very same footwork and based his school upon it. He’s got small fists.
Let's try to keep this on topic out of respect to the marvelous Monk Wong.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well perhaps I can tell you the story of when Monk Wong was challenged by Iron Arm Lu? It's a story that sure to silence the nay-sayers.
Oh please do! Don’t hold back on the detail…we want a rich narrative.

OP
W

Wong Follower

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It was many years ago - I had only been in the temple a few months at this point.

Iron Arm Lu, who had become known in the province as a master who means business, had amassed a large following. Indeed, his kicking skills were said to be second to none. One day, he knocked thrice on the Leopard Temple doors. We all knew what was coming.

Lu and Wong faced off - only one would emerge victorious. Lu thrust his famous iron arms (so called because of their immense power) towards Monk Wong's face. However, using circle stepping, Wong got behind Lu and struck him with a phoenix-eye strike.

Wong emerged victorious. Lu bowed, saying, "Forgive me Monk Wong. Thy skills are not only the most ferocious but also noblest in the province".

Status
Not open for further replies.