wu style square form

Interesting stuff. I would prefer that the "dummy" be a bit less dramatic, but I do like the subtlety of the applications shown. There is some good Wu Style in Singapore. The family has been going there since the 1950's, and there are still disciples of Wu Gong Yi, Wu Ta Kwei, Wu Ta Chi, Wu Ta Hsin, and Wu Yan Hsia around.

Was also wondering what he had in his breast pocket, a small TV?

I would prefer that the "dummy" be a bit less dramatic,

"dummy" 🤔

Dramatic or not, those are his reactions....
Accords with what I've seen and have experienced

Why wonder, 😐

Many questions are asked about the square frame practice,,,
The teacher demos some of the movements with explanations.
Most in Singapore can speak English...

For those interested questions can be directed via email.
or Wechat....

新加坡袁之江老师讲解吴家108式方架Singapore Teacher Yuan Zhijiang, explains the Wu 108 style square frame For further information please contact Email:[email protected] or Wechat:ntutaiji

Last edited:
What's your opinion about his stance at 1.21 - 1.24?

- His right foot points to southwest.
- His left foot points to southeast.

As far as I can remember, there is no such stance exist in CMA.

Grand master Gao Zhuangfei explains it here,,,its part of the single whip for Wu style
shoulders and gua open....

Grand master Gao Zhuangfei explains it here,,,its part of the single whip for Wu style
shoulders and gua open....
When you have left foot pointing SW and right foot pointing SE, if you generate power, which direction will your power go?

If you bend and straight your

- right leg, your power will go SW.
- left leg, your power will go SE.

The WC has inward stance. I have never seen outward stance used in CMA. Also, this kind of outward stance has very little resistance against a force that come from the south.

outward_stance.jpg

I have never seen outward stance used in CMA
And now you have 🤔

A native speaker should understand what Master Gao Zhuangfei said directly .
It doesn't make sense to ignore his words or try to fit them into one's own understanding.

For non native speakers, or those that can not understand..
maybe they should study Wu style. 🙂

And now you have 🤔

A native speaker should understand what Master Gao Zhuangfei said directly .
It doesn't make sense to ignore his words or try to fit them into one's own understanding.

For non native speakers, or those that can not understand..
maybe they should study Wu style. 🙂
As far as I know, the outward stance does not exist in long fist, praying mantis, Baji, Zimen, Lou Han, WC, XY, Bagua, Yang Taiji, ...

I give my reasons why outward stance is improper. You have not given your opinion why outward stance is proper.

This is the Yang "single whip". It's a bow-arrow stance. His left foot points to east. His right foot points to southeast.

single_whip.jpg

Last edited:
When you have left foot pointing SW and right foot pointing SE, if you generate power, which direction will your power go?

If you bend and straight your

- right leg, your power will go SW.
- left leg, your power will go SE.

The WC has inward stance. I have never seen outward stance used in CMA. Also, this kind of outward stance has very little resistance against a force that come from the south.

View attachment 31652
The two arms in single whip expand away from each other, the leg position of the wu style taiji in harmony with that expanding of the arms ? Although in the northern/ Beijing wu Taiji branch feet may point more as in a regular horse stance.
There’s a historical rumor that the founder of the Wu style Taiji had gotten a permanent leg injury, as so his stances was modified, maybe that play part to this specific Taiji stance appearance ?
It’s interesting you note that the stance is not to be found in any other CMA, however is a quite common stance in Goju ryu karate that derived from Fuijianese white Crane gong fu.
The stance is common in Japanese sumo too and Okinawan folk-dance

Also should point out, in more “original” Yang taiji back leg in single whip is more bent, center of gravity is more “in between” the legs, it’s very visual in that way in Chen style TJQ that’s almost in a mabu stance

Last edited:
The two arms in single whip expand away from each other, the leg position of the wu style taiji in harmony with that expanding of the arms ? Although in the northern/ Beijing wu Taiji branch feet may point more as in a regular horse stance.

Understand you can not see the clip...
He is explaining about the opening and closing of the shoulders and 胯" (kuà)
How each side extends through the back to the opposite leg..
talks about the focal points of the Yanshen" (眼神) in the posture...
There’s a historical rumor that the founder of the Wu style Taiji had gotten a permanent leg injury, as so his stances was modified, maybe that play part to this specific Taiji stance appearance ?

Nothing to do with what Master Gao Zhuangfe outlined in the clip....

maybe 🤔 you can search this 高壮飞谈吴式太极拳...and find the clip in question..

Last edited:
He is explaining about the opening and closing of the shoulders and 胯" (kuà)
How each side extends through the back to the opposite leg..
What's the name of that outward stance (in English or in Chinese)? What's the application usage of that stance?

Here is a video that compare horse stance and outward stance.

At 4.33, it shows the outward stance is easy to fall backward.

Last edited:
If you train that kind of outward stance long enough, you will get a permanent leg injury.

If you train that kind of outward stance long enough, you will get a permanent leg injury.
That I’ll guess may differ from person to person, however as I mentioned it’s a common stance in gojuryu karate and I know that the well renowned gojuryu master Higashionna has bad knees

Ah, that’s the excellent Seikichi Toguchi, he developed some special stretch exercises that might be good for performing the stance correctly.

However, most of the advanced Okinawan gojuryu practitioners(at least in Okinawa) I guess have not suffered bad legs from this specific stance

What's your opinion about his stance at 1.21 - 1.24?

- His right foot points to southwest.
- His left foot points to southeast.

As far as I can remember, there is no such stance exist in CMA.
Pretty standard Horse stance, albeit a high, narrow one. That is the stance for Single Whip in Wu style. Many styles use a variation of it.

What's the name of that outward stance (in English or in Chinese)? What's the application usage of that stance?

Here is a video that compare horse stance and outward stance.

At 4.33, it shows the outward stance is easy to fall backward.

We use shiko dachi to drop low, you can get lower while staying upright than with both feet pointed forward. There are a whole bunch of throws and takedowns can be done using that stance.

Pretty standard Horse stance, albeit a high, narrow one. That is the stance for Single Whip in Wu style. Many styles use a variation of it.
But the horse stance has both feet parallel to each other.

The WC inward stance has a name Kim Yeung Ma. Does outward stance have a name in MA?

WC_stance.jpg

Last edited:
Back