Why is Kempo Karate more prevalent in the fighting world than Shotokan and Goju Ryu?

martialuser

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Shotokan is by far the biggest style of Karate in the world. Yet most fighters and high profile athletes are from Kempo, even youtubers. the machida brothers are the only ones from shotokan

Is Kempo Karate the second biggest style, or do they train for freestyle fighting more?

Goju Ryu also absent.

Shotokan is by far the biggest style of Karate in the world. Yet most fighters and high profile athletes are from Kempo, even youtubers. the machida brothers are the only ones from shotokan

Is Kempo Karate the second biggest style, or do they train for freestyle fighting more?

Goju Ryu also absent.
Do you watch Karate Combat? I suppose not. Shotokan dominates Karate Combat. Among the current title holders, Kempo is a distant second.

I do notice that in WKF (both kata and kumite), Shito-ryu seems to dominate.

Do you watch Karate Combat? I suppose not. Shotokan dominates Karate Combat. Among the current title holders, Kempo is a distant second.

Karate Combat is Karate.... I meant in non karate fighting organisations.

Just off the top of my head. I think wonderboy is shotokan.

Machida is something.

And there are a bunch of kuyokashin. Sam greco from back 8n the day.

I don't know of any Kempo fighters.

(Edit. Wonderboy is kempo)

Karate Combat is Karate.... I meant in non karate fighting organisations.
Doesn't matter.

So to be a style that does fighting. You need a vehicle for that to matter to anyone. Or people who want to fight just go to a different style.

Karate Combat provides a reason for karate guys to be good at karate.

If they are good at karate. You will find they become good at other fight promotions.

Stephen Thompson is Kempo.

Sage Northcutt is Shuri Ryu

Bill Wallace Shorin Ryu

Joe Lewis Shorin Ryu

Michael Venom Page Sport Karate/ Kempo style

Raymond Daniels Kempo

Chuck Liddell Kempo

Listing Bill Wallace and Joe Lewis as Shorin Ryu is technically correct. It was from their beginnings.

But any similarities from that (or any other style) to the way they actually practiced, fought and taught Martial Arts, is vastly different and no longer descriptive.

Back