Under Armour Wearers-- Marketing Hype or . . .

Obliquity

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is this stuff really different than any other stretchy plastic wear on the market? Pros and cons? What do you like about it?

Just wondering since I see it in the stores, but the prices are a bit steep for just another plastic undershirt.

Personally I like Under Armour. I've found that it breathes really well, its very soft and doesn't make my skin break out the way cheap synthetics do. Their gear largely fits me well, without being too snug or not snug enough or seams digging in to my skin or all the zillion reasons why gear can be uncomfortable. Its very durable and very consistent. I don't have a lot of their gear but what I have has felt the same and performed the same.

Some people are really in to shopping, I hate shopping. I want to spend the minimal time doing it and take the minimal risk to my expectations of what I'm buying. So...I think its a good choice for what I'm looking for.

Is it worth it to someone else? Can't answer that. :)

I have to agree with the last post...works well....Initially I bought one to bike in...I was overheating do to the cotton holding all the mosture....I believe it made a big difference for me. My only bad experience was one night after a killer ride we got back to my buddy's house talked a bit as the temp dropped significantly...on the ride home I was uncontrollably shaking....the temp had dropped low enough to extract more body heat than I thought...I actually had to remove the shirt for the remainder of the ride home....Totally my fault....I do agree the pricing is high but I shop (imagine) around and look for deals...sometimes you can find them cheap enough to justify buying a couple at a time....
Now I wear them in my Dojo whenever it gets really hot...

We use under armour in under our shooting equiptment to help keep us cool. The cheap stuff doesn't seem to work as well. Personally I think it is worth the cost and it definitely wears well.

I have to concur that it is really good stuff.
icon14.gif

I've worn it (the different varieties, heat gear, cold gear, loose gear) in just about all climates imaginable from normal temperate climates, to below zero working on snow removal crews, to well over 100 degrees cooped up in a vehicle for hours. I strongly recommend the stuff. I can't speak to the other brands of it, but I think the stuff works great.

Is this stuff really different than any other stretchy plastic wear on the market? Pros and cons? What do you like about it?

Just wondering since I see it in the stores, but the prices are a bit steep for just another plastic undershirt.
Under Armour's got a great rep -- and it's well designed in terms of stitching and seam placement. But there are other, very similar products out there which are often cheaper. If the seam design issues aren't important -- I'd probably go with them.

You could checkout Costco. Currently my local Costco is selling the Under Armour shorts for around $25 I think. (I live in Los Angeles).

Sporting Goods store may have them on sale at the end of the season (buying winter gear in the summer, or summer gear in the winter) also at the end of the year.

I could offer a lot of excuses: breathes well, comfortable in a wide range of temps, doesn't cause a rash.

But really, I like them because my wife likes how I look in it.

Under Armour: lingerie for guys.

I could offer a lot of excuses: breathes well, comfortable in a wide range of temps, doesn't cause a rash.

But really, I like them because my wife likes how I look in it.

Under Armour: lingerie for guys.

OMG, that happened to me at the last tournament. I wear underarmour under my gi, and was just wearing the gi bottoms and the black shirt.

The wife came in and went: "ooh, you look good."

Vainity says I'll be doing THAT more often. :D

Lamont

A gentleman wearing UnderArmour is a beautiful sight indeed. ;) *nods approvingly*

Since I'm a big guy let say somewhere in the range of 240 and short I find them to be the best for me they do not restrict movement and beath well for us bigger and rounder folks.

I've worn it (the different varieties, heat gear, cold gear, loose gear) in just about all climates imaginable from normal temperate climates, to below zero working on snow removal crews, to well over 100 degrees cooped up in a vehicle for hours. I strongly recommend the stuff. I can't speak to the other brands of it, but I think the stuff works great.

what is really the difference between heatgear, coldgear, and allseason gear? If you're going to be out in 100 degrees weather (mountain-climbing outdoors), then go to a place that will drop to around 40 degrees (inside a cave), would these stuff work? Just wondering....

- Ceicei

WELL - the coldgear is long sleeved, turtle necked and insulated. It is form fitting and it is incredible how well it traps the heat in.

The Loosegear I particularly like, because it is LIKE a normal shirt, but when it gets wet and sweaty, it doesn't stick to you and it breaths very well.

I believe the heat gear is the stuff that fits very tight. The best part of that stuff is that it "wicks" the moisture from your body. Basically it moves the moisture away so that it isn't right on your skin and it feels very cool once you start sweating.

My Taekwondo instructor and I bought a set of Under Armour gear, the Heat Gear Shirt and shorts and wore them to our MMA Fight Nights and while I was fighting I noticed that I wasn't bothered with my shirt sticking to my back which always annoyed me with a regular light cotton t-shirt that I usually wore. It was really comfortable yet stylish.

Really good stuff for running, especially in cooler weather. I also take it backpacking - it dries fast and makes a really good inner layer.

Latest Discussions

Back