U.S. plans radioactive project

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
rather interesting...

The Bush administration is planning the government's first production of plutonium 238 - a highly radioactive substance valued as a power source - since the Cold War, stirring debate over the risks and benefits of the deadly material. It is hot enough to melt plastic and so dangerous that a speck can cause cancer.

Federal officials say the program would produce a total of 330 pounds, or 150 kilograms, over 30 years at the Idaho National Laboratory, a sprawling site outside Idaho Falls some 100 miles, or 160 kilometers, to the west and upwind of Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. The program could cost $1.5 billion and generate more than 50,000 drums of hazardous and radioactive waste.

Project managers say that most if not all of the new plutonium is intended for secret missions and declined to divulge any details.

"The real reason we're starting production is for national security," Timothy Frazier, head of radioisotope power systems at the Department of Energy, said at the end of a recent interview.

He vigorously denied that any of the classified missions would involve nuclear arms, satellites or weapons in space.

But the secrecy is adding to unease in Wyoming, where environmentalists are scrutinizing the production plan - made public late Friday - and considering whether to fight it. They say the production effort is a potential threat to nearby ecosystems, including Yellowstone National Park, Grand Teton National Park and the area around Jackson Hole, famous for its billionaires, celebrities and weekend cowboys, including Vice President Dick Cheney.

"It's completely wrapped in the flag," said Mary Woollen-Mitchell, executive director of Keep Yellowstone Nuclear Free, a group based in Jackson Hole. "They absolutely won't let on" about the missions.

Plutonium 238 has no central role in nuclear arms. Instead, it is valued for its steady heat, which can be turned into electricity.

Don't we have enough problems with this crap already?

Also, Sapper6, could you please cite your source to comply with the copyright policy and for my further perusal?

Thanks

You can see a fairly accurat and impartial account of what this is about
here.

The Idaho National Laboratory is waiting for a green light to begin producing plutonium that would supply battery power for NASA spacecraft.

Later this month the Department of Energy is expected to release an environmental study on a plan to consolidate plutonium-238 production across the nation at the Idaho site. The project has other applications besides providing voltage on the far side of Mercury. The batteries could run surveillance equipment in more remote -- but still earthly -- locations where access may be limited for long periods of time.

Unless i'm missing something, i'm not sure I see the problem. Lots of dangerous materials out there. If this research is useful, why not let it be done. Just because something is "secret" does not make it insidious. There are somethings that need to be kept secret, even in a world where society absolutely has to know what color a celebrity's underwear is. It's very clear the material isn't used for nuclear weapons production.

sgtmac_46 said:
Unless i'm missing something, i'm not sure I see the problem. Lots of dangerous materials out there. If this research is useful, why not let it be done. Just because something is "secret" does not make it insidious. There are somethings that need to be kept secret, even in a world where society absolutely has to know what color a celebrity's underwear is. It's very clear the material isn't used for nuclear weapons production.

Perhaps, but from Sapper's post:
"The real reason we're starting production is for national security," Timothy Frazier, head of radioisotope power systems at the Department of Energy, said at the end of a recent interview.

He vigorously denied that any of the classified missions would involve nuclear arms, satellites or weapons in space.

Anything that clandestine and to which was "fervently" responded makes me uneasy. Especially when it comes to the government "barkers" telling me what I should and should not think.

shesulsa said:
PODon't we have enough problems with this crap already?

Also, Sapper6, could you please cite your source to comply with the copyright policy and for my further perusal?

Thanks

nytimes.com, the post online, drudgereport.com. :ultracool

OUMoose said:
Perhaps, but from Sapper's post:

Anything that clandestine and to which was "fervently" responded makes me uneasy. Especially when it comes to the government "barkers" telling me what I should and should not think.
I didn't read where he told you to think anything. It's very clear that the material is not for nuclear weapons production, so we've established that much. It's most likely designed to power something. If all we are doing is having a knee-jerk reaction to anything "nuclear", then we'll need a better reason than that.

"We're making batteries!" Isn't what they said. They said, "It's for secret missions!"

I'd be more interested if they were using it for a definitive purpose, like producing more nuclear power plants in the US rather than this particular odd phraseology, which implies it's being used for some vague purpose. (Even if it's just powering a few recon drones, why be so coy?)

Marginal said:
"We're making batteries!" Isn't what they said. They said, "It's for secret missions!"

I'd be more interested if they were using it for a definitive purpose, like producing more nuclear power plants in the US rather than this particular odd phraseology, which implies it's being used for some vague purpose. (Even if it's just powering a few recon drones, why be so coy?)
We'll, i'd guess because it's a secret project. If they told everyone, it wouldn't be real secret would it? Is there some overriding concern that leads us all to "have to know" other than they are being "coy"?

Marginal said:

Pretty much the only legitimate purpose for Pu-238 is thermal batteries-which can have a variety of uses, including powering satellites, navigation beacons and communication systems-all of which could be classified for national security reasons-maybe even as high as what I jokingly refer to as NUNYA class information....

elder999 said:
Pretty much the only legitimate purpose for Pu-238 is thermal batteries-which can have a variety of uses, including powering satellites, navigation beacons and communication systems-all of which could be classified for national security reasons-maybe even as high as what I jokingly refer to as NUNYA class information....
Exactly. I'm amazed at the people who feel they must simply know EVERYTHING that is going on, even if there is no reason to. If they are told no, they invent bizarre conspiracies to explain why they SHOULD know. Again, according to all information given, Pu-238 is only useful for thermal batteries. I think it would suffice to say that's enough to know. The US does have enemies who really don't need certain knowledge about our capabilities, and who DO read the New York times and watch CNN. Of course that knowledge certainly doesn't do much to placate the portion of our society who believes the only enemy IS the US government.

Latest Discussions

Back