Purple Belt
Reaction score
What does this say in English? Thanks.

Attachments

• thumbnail_image0.jpg
    thumbnail_image0.jpg
    749.5 KB · Views: 5
You've posted this before.

Oki kara kai - it's an abbreviation for Okinawa Karate Kai.

Uechi-ryu.

IMO, once you've been practicing karate for a few months, you should've already started picking up on some kanji. Specifically, the one for "karate," your style, and "Japan" and/or "Okinawa." You're likely not going to be specifically instructed on it, but you'll be around it enough to pick up on it.

OK, I googled(?) that and got

OKINAWA KARATE-DO KYOKAI​

(OKIKUKAI)​

The Okinawa Karatedo Association (OKIKUKAI)

About​

The Okinawa Karatedo Association (OKIKUKAI) was established in order to transfer and train the intangible cultural arts of Karate in Okinawa.
The members improve together by encouraging each other during the transfer of Karatedo, training of their minds and bodies, and cultivating their character.

Looks to me like an organization to preserve "Okinawan Traditional Karate-do."

If some has more insight I would be grateful. Thanks.

You've posted this before.

Oki kara kai - it's an abbreviation for Okinawa Karate Kai.

Uechi-ryu.

IMO, once you've been practicing karate for a few months, you should've already started picking up on some kanji. Specifically, the one for "karate," your style, and "Japan" and/or "Okinawa." You're likely not going to be specifically instructed on it, but you'll be around it enough to pick up on it.

I'm getting old. MY memory is not as good as it used to be (see Joe Biden). I apologize for my lapse. I did recognize the Kanji for Uechi ryu. But not the verticle one.

So the association web site I found is for Uechi ryu only? From my reading I thought it was broader than one style.

They say when you get old there are two things that fail first: 1. Memory, 2. (I don't remember the second one.)

Thanks for the patients.

Last edited:
So the association web site I found is for Uechi ryu only? From my reading I thought it was broader than one style.
I don't know anything about your association. But there are plenty style-specific associations that only have the word "karate" in the name. JKA, ITKF, and KWF just to name a few.

Now I found this:

OKINAWA KARATE ASSOCIATION U.K.
Uechi-Ryu Karate Clubs​

The Association in Japan and the U.K.

The Okinawa Karate Association U.K. is affiliated to the Okinawa Karate-Do Association, in Okinawa Japan. The Okinawan parent Association was formed 1989, by many of the high ranking black belts of the Uechi-Ryu Karate Association of Okinawa.

For some years the name of Uechi-Ryu was still used to describe the style, however on November 16th 1996, the Board of Directors of the Okinawa Karate-Do Association created a new name for the style calling it it Shohei-Ryu. The name was made from two Chinese characters, sho and hei. Sho meaning to shine brightly and hei meaning fairness, equality and peace. In 2017 it was announced that the name of the style would revert back to Uechi-Ryu.

The Okinawa Karate-Do Association have also added new kata, bunkai and kumites to the system.

The headquarters of the Okinawa Karate-Do Association is in Nakasonecho, Okinawa, Japan.

I also found this at wikipedia, discussion of splinter groups and name changes:

Uechi-Ryū today​

Like many arts, Uechi-Ryū experienced organizational splits after its founder's death. Nevertheless, in 2018 as part of its Okinawan Karate Style Research Project, the Okinawan government brought together seniors from some of the main organizations, which include the Okinawan Karate-Dō Association (沖縄手道協会), Kenyukai (拳優会), Konan Ryū Shureikai (硬軟流守礼会), and the Uechi-Ryū Karate-Dō Association (上地流空手道協会).[21]

Pangai-noon In 1978 a group of Uechi-Ryū students headed by Seiki Itokazu and Takashi Kinjo broke away from the Ryū due to political disagreements and the desire to teach kobudō in their dōjō, and they adopted the style name Pangainoon Ryū.[39] By the early 1990s Itokazu and Kinjo had renamed this breakaway style Konan Ryū. In the 2000s Kinjo and his students began using the style name Kobu Ryū, however one of Kinjo's students, Mikio Nishiuchi, reverted to using the style name Pang Gai Noon Ryū.[40] This name has also been used by later groups over the years who have practiced the additional kata and exercises. All extant organizations are either former Uechi-Ryū organizations or schools that chose to use the old name, or current Uechi-Ryū schools which wish to give homage to the old name. In 2019 the Okinawa Konan Ryu Karate Dō Association (沖縄硬軟流空手道協会): Seiki Itokazu and currently headed by Seisho Itokazu, changed the name of the association to Uechi-Ryū Karate-do Konan-kai (沖縄上地流空手道硬軟会).

Shōhei-Ryū After the death of the founder's son, Kanei Uechi, most of the senior practitioners of the original art split for political and personal reasons from his son Kanmei Uechi to form the Okinawa Karate-Dō Association (沖縄手道協会). Barred by Kanmei Uechi from using his family name, the Okinawan Karate Dō Association eventually decided to rename its system Shōhei-Ryū (昭平流)[41] which combined the Late Emperor Hirohito's reign name Shōwa and his son Emperor Akihito's Heisei to mean "to shine brightly with fairness, equality, and peace." The Okinawan Karate Dō Association added a new two-man prearranged exercise yakusoku kumite (約束組み手) and an application or bunkai (分解) form for the third original kata: "Sanseiryū bunkai". One teacher developed an additional kata which was deemed by the Okinawan Karate Dō Association to be a kata for his school. With the name "Uechi-Ryū" passing out of copyright in Okinawa, an easing of political and personal disagreements, and a desire to promote the style in anticipation of the 2020 Summer Olympics, on September 18, 2016, the Okinawa Karate-Dō Association officially dropped "Shōhei-Ryū" and returned to the name "Uechi-Ryū."[42]

Also this on central organization:

Major organizations of Uechi-Ryū​

[edit]
Many consist of a main organization in Okinawa with branches in other countries. Listed strictly in alphabetical order:

Okinawa based

1. Jiteki (自適; "Self-Reliance") Jyuku Association: headed by Ken Nakamatsu[43]
  2. Kenyukai (拳優会; International Kenyukai Association): headed by Kiyohide Shinjō: Started as a fraternity in the Uechi-Ryū Association in 1981[44]
  3. Konan Ryū Shureikai (硬軟流守礼会): Headed by Tsuneo Shimabukuro
  4. Okikukai (沖空会 沖縄空手道協会; The Okinawa Karate Dō Association): headed by senior students of Kanei Uechi in rotation: current head: Yamashiro Hirokuni[45]
  5. Okinawa Karate-Dō Uechi-Ryū Zankai (Zakimi Shūbukan 座喜味修武館): headed by G. Seizan Breyette [46]
  6. Okinawa Kōburyū Karatedō Kobudō Kōbukai (沖縄孝武流空手道古武道孝武会): headed by Kinjo Takashi [47]
  7. Okinawa Konan Ryū Karate Dō Association (沖縄硬軟流空手道協会): headed by Itokazu Seisho
  8. Okinawa Konan Ryū Karate-do Renseikai (沖縄硬軟流空手道練成会): headed by Josei Yogi
  9. Okinawa Uechi-Ryū Hozonkai (沖縄上地流唐手道保存会): headed by Minoru Miyagi[48]
  10. Uechi-Ryū Karate-Dō Association (上地流空手道協会): headed by Sadanao Uechi[49]
  11. Uechi-Ryū Karate-Dō Ken Sei Kai (上地流唐手道拳誠会): headed by Yoshitsune Senaga[50]
  12. Uechi-Ryū Karate-Dō Shinkokai (上地流空手道振興会修武館):[51]
International Organizations

1. Canadian Uechi-Ryū Karate Association[52]
  2. International Uechi-Ryū Karate-Dō Association (IUKA) (Kokusai Kyokai): headed by James Thompson[53][54]
  3. International Uechi-Ryū Karate-Dō Shubukai (上地流空手道修武会): headed by Yasushi Kuno [55]
  4. International Uechi-Ryū Karate Federation (IUKF): founded by George Mattson, currently headed by Darin Yee[56][57]
  5. North American Jiteki-Jyuku Karate Association: American branch of the Jiteki (自適; "Self-Reliance") Jyuku Association [58]
  6. Ryukokaku Karate and Kobudō Association (龍虎鶴唐手古武道会; "Dragon, Tiger, Crane, Toudi and Kobudo Kai"): headed by Tsukasa Gushi[59]
  7. Uechi-Ryū Bushidō: headed by Bob Bethoney [60]
  8. Uechi-Ryū Butokukai: headed by Buzz Durkin [61]
  9. Uechi-Ryū International Karate-Do Association (UIKA): Chairman Robert Campbell, and Vice-chairman Jay Salhanick[62]
  10. Uechi-Ryu Karate-Do Association (GB): Chairman Terry Daly[63]
  11. Uechi-Ryū Karate-Dō Shinkokai Shūbukan (上地流空手道振興会修文): headed by Isamu Uehara [64]
  12. Uechi-Ryū Karate Dō Europe: President Didier Lorho; European branch of Uechi-Ryū Karate-Dō Association (上地流空手道協会) [65]
  13. União e Força Brasil Karate-Do: Brazilian branch of Okikukai, headed by Gustavo Labareda[66]
  14. World Uechi-Ryū Karate Dō Kobudō Organization (WUKKO): President Gustavo Gondra[67]

Link: Uechi-Ryū - Wikipedia

By my count 23 accrediating groups! Probably more not listed.

No wonder I am confused.

Well, I will say this: you're in an enviable position. Uechi-ryu is a highly respected style that's not easy to find, and many would jump on that opportunity if it was available locally. It's even been argued that Uechi-ryu is the style that most closely resembles what karate looked like before it moved beyond Okinawa.

Cool. Thank you. Sensi James Thompson has had his Dojo here for many years. Lots of student pass through. I am grateful for this opportunity. Just wish I had started earlier. But, I had wife, bunch of kids, job ant much time or money left over. I am currently on leave as I have back problems and an operation in early September.

Have been enjoying so far. I also appreciate this forum fore information and opportunities it's/members provides.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
aside notes: 1. Since I am currently restrained by my back issue I appreciate this forum to keep me somewhat involved.
2. I have figured out how to use the translation feature to translate English into Japanese Kanji. However, I havent figured out how to translate Kanji in pictures to translate into English. The program just sees the picture not the Kanji content. Eventually, I will get it.

THANKS ALL. opr1945

Apparently after the death of founder Kanbun Uechi his son took over the origanaztion and renamed the style Uechi ryu after his founder. This lead to a splinter organization being formed, named Shohei-Ryu. later after leagal issues resolved it adopted the name Uechi ryu.

I find it interesting that the explanations for the name seem to differ.

1. For some years the name of Uechi-Ryu was still used to describe the style, however on November 16th 1996, the Board of Directors of the Okinawa Karate-Do Association created a new name for the style calling it it Shohei-Ryu. The name was made from two Chinese characters, sho and hei. Sho meaning to shine brightly and hei meaning fairness, equality and peace. In 2017 it was announced that the name of the style would revert back to Uechi-Ryu.
(Okinawa Karate Association U.K. - Association Profile)

2. Barred by Kanmei Uechi from using his family name, the Okinawan Karate Dō Association eventually decided to rename its system Shōhei-ryu (昭平流)[40] which combined the Late Emperor Hirohito's reign name Shōwa and his son Emperor Akihito's Heisei to mean "to shine brightly with fairness, equality, and peace."
(Log into Facebook)

It's even been argued that Uechi-ryu is the style that most closely resembles what karate looked like before it moved beyond Okinawa.
This argument has little foundation. The karate that was exported from Okinawa into Japan's schools by Itosu and Funakoshi in the 1920's was mostly Shuri-te based. The Chinese influence on this branch of karate dates back to before 1800 via the studies of Sakugawa and perhaps his student, Matsumura. So, it had over 100 years of mixing with Okinawan influences as karate evolved by the early 1900's. This is what karate looked like before it moved beyond Okinawa.

Uechi Kanbun did not even return from China until this time, so his 'karate' (even still having its Chinese name, pangai noon) had no time to have been modified by Okinawan influences. When he actually started teaching years later it was in Japan.

Rather than the assertion you stated, it is more correct to say Uechi ryu may have more closely resembled the 'karate' of 1800. It had little to no connection to Okinawan karate prior to the 1920's or a little beyond.

2. I have figured out how to use the translation feature to translate English into Japanese Kanji. However, I havent figured out how to translate Kanji in pictures to translate into English. The program just sees the picture not the Kanji content. Eventually, I will get it.

THANKS ALL. opr1945
This is how I used Google Translate Images...

1. Save your OP image to my desktop by right clicking, choose "Save image as..." and naming it "Karate Gi."
2. Go to Google Translate Images.
3. Click on "Browse your files" and choose "Karate Gi."
4. Right click on the image and choose "Save image as...," then name it "Karate Gi Translated" and save it to my desktop.
5. Upload "Karate Gi Translated" image to Imgur.
6. Click on "Copy link"
7. Upload "Karate GI Translated" into my post on MT.

Last edited:
Thank yuou very much. I will try that.

It has been a long day for me. Had Doctor treatment in morning. Shots. Felt great for a couple hours then they wore off and the pain was back with a vengence. Ended sitting in fron of computer most of day. Posted some here. Did some broswing. going to bed. Tomorrow is a new day. Thanks.

Latest Discussions

Back