Top Gear

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
A few months ago I finally watched an episode of Top Gear, the original with Clarkson, Hammond and James. I had known about it for a while but never watched it and I finally saw it on BBC America and I am just short of having an addiction to it. Meaning if I am in front of the TV and it is on I MUST watch Top Gear. However if I the TV is not on and I know Top Gear is on I will not stop whatever it is I’m doing to watch it.

Now I discovered that there is now a Top Gear America and I though… hmmmmm… If I am in front of the TV and I know it is on I must watch it… and the day came when that happened.. it was a Top Gear America Marathon actually and I watched… 3 episodes… and… it… is…HORRIBLE!!!

I can’t stand it, it is boring and much of the dialogue flat and the other bits are either knock offs of the original or simply to silly and childish to be bearable for too long. The Stig…driving a Lamborghini… Tractor around the track… the dialogue was pathetic… Now I would like to see that on the original because I do believe it would be rather funny… but on Top Gear USA it was horrible

I realize this is only my opinion and there may be those that really love it but I can’t stand it.

OK that is my rant for today…I’m done

It is one of those rare moments of chemistry between people where they are greater than the sum of their individual humour and presenting talent. Clarkson, Hammond and May have all done 'solo' work and none of it has been as good as those hours where, together, they twaddle on about cars :D.

Speaking of alternative 'version's, here is a clip of one of Top Gears classic mental (as in "crackers" rather than "intellectual" :D) challenges ... from the German perspective :lol: :

http://jalopnik.com/5057629/top-gears-world-war-from-the-german-perspective

German Top Gear does have the advantage of Sabine Schmidt of course ... but given that Top Gear is founded on a British sense of absurd humour ... :shrugs:

Here's the first of the segments on YouTube in case there's a problem with the FinalGear links:

[yt]W6UPSdiYnDI[/yt]

Last edited:
I just discovered that other top gears existed as well

Top Gear Australia, the Australian adaptation of the BBC series
Top Gear Russia, the Russian adaptation of the BBC series
Top Gear China, the Chinese adaptation of the BBC series
Top Gear (U.S. TV series), the U.S. adaptation of the BBC series
Top Gear Turkey, the Turkish adaptation of the BBC series
Top Gear Korea, the Korean adaptation of the BBC series (Airing on August 2011)

Last edited:
Here's a clip, part of which made my jaw drop. No, not the part where Hamster had a tyre blow at 300MPH in a jet-dragster ... the part where a bunch of Alabama residents reacted with armed violence to a joke involving painting insults on the sides of cars. I thought when I saw this broadcast that it was a set-up joke about in-bred Red-necks not getting the joke and over-reacting but it seems that it was real!

Lord I hope it wasn't - otherwise it means we share the planet with people like that.

[yt]7OoNHNvKYpw[/yt]

They (the UK team) have made a few wonderful "specials" you must catch on youtube or somewhere the tours of Vietnam (on motorbikes) and the one of Bolivia / Chile (in the jeeps) that they did. Times I get fed up with the laddishness of the programme that must appeal to aspirational BMW drivers and so you can keep the rest of the show and but those couple of specials were truly, truly epic :)

I love the show. My favorite ones are the drive to the north pole in the hilux and the road trip here in the US. Totally my kind of show, whenever they have them on demand I watch. The american one is cool too, Adam cracks me up. I also watch some of the Austrailian and German episodes too. I wish we got Holdens here in the US.

Back