This is awesome, one of you should do this

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

If you’ve got an extra $3,500 and love to scare the ever-loving ***** out of people on Halloween, we’ve got just the product for you. This animatronic door uses a 22-inch LCD monitor, a special DVD from Hi-Rez Designs and pneumatics cued by DTMF tracks to make it look like an axe-wielding killer is after you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think I could do it for about $2500 less......hell, an 22" LCD monitor would only run about $200.......get some hydraulics like they use for low riders, film a short DVD set up to repeat itself.....just sayin'.....it is pretty cool, though.

Think I could do it for about $2500 less......hell, an 22" LCD monitor would only run about $200.......get some hydraulics like they use for low riders, film a short DVD set up to repeat itself.....just sayin'.....it is pretty cool, though.
Still a little rich for my blood...
Do it, Jeff, and post the results!

Actually, Don-I love Halloween-my favorite holiday. Usually, if I'm around, we set up a fake front door that's actually a puppet shadow box theater, and I let my puppets answer the door-but this? Yeah, I'll try it. Won't be ready in time for this year, but maybe next year.......sure if I get done, I'll film it, and show how much it costs-I think it shouldn't cost much more than $1000, though I really have no idewa how much it'll cost to produce the video, or to program the hydraulics (pneumatics?) to make the video synchronize with the whacks on the door, but we'll see.........might cut down on candy costs, that's for sure!

EDIT: think I even know a pretty menacing looking guy to play the psycho in the DVD....:lfao:

Last edited:
Where I used to work, we have a halloween portion every October. They bought one of these "doors." The effect is pretty neat. Only difference was that it's a girl wandering the halls of some insane asylum carrying a bloody axe. She's at the far end of the "hallway" slowly shambling her way through, bloody axe hung low and then quick succession of her coming closer until she's at the door, looking like something out of "The Grudge" (lots of dark, wet hair and an crazed eye peering out from the tangles). Then boom, boom, boom she's swinging the axe and it's making dents in the door and shattering the glass (on screen), then a loud scream as she's clawing the window in frustration that she can't get to you... then everyone moves on. The whole thing is quite heavy, taking 4 burly guys to manhandle it and set it up and no, the door does not open.
Neat effect but quickly wears off 2nd and 3rd and X-# of times you see it as an employee.
I asked if the effect could be changed and they said no. So it does or will clash with whatever theme that they come up with for the next year as they change it to something different. $3500 bucks is pricey indeed and that type of spook is probably best reserved for professional haunted houses.

Here it is:
(dunno why the angle is skewed) ... but it's not exactly the same but close enough... including dents in the door.
[yt]jyAULcrlTOs[/yt]

Where I used to work, we have a halloween portion every October. They bought one of these "doors." The effect is pretty neat. Only difference was that it's a girl wandering the halls of some insane asylum carrying a bloody axe. She's at the far end of the "hallway" slowly shambling her way through, bloody axe hung low and then quick succession of her coming closer until she's at the door, looking like something out of "The Grudge" (lots of dark, wet hair and an crazed eye peering out from the tangles). Then boom, boom, boom she's swinging the axe and it's making dents in the door and shattering the glass (on screen), then a loud scream as she's clawing the window in frustration that she can't get to you... then everyone moves on. The whole thing is quite heavy, taking 4 burly guys to manhandle it and set it up and no, the door does not open.
Neat effect but quickly wears off 2nd and 3rd and X-# of times you see it as an employee.
I asked if the effect could be changed and they said no. So it does or will clash with whatever theme that they come up with for the next year as they change it to something different. $3500 bucks is pricey indeed and that type of spook is probably best reserved for professional haunted houses.
Still pretty neat.

Itd be interesting if one could Rent them...

One of my favourite haunted houses had the walls all around me move up suddenly. Felt like you were being dropped through a trap door. More places should use that one.

Latest Discussions

Back