things you find when cleaning

mj_lover

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i found my very 1st gi today, from when i was 6 years old...thought that was kinda cool. do any of you still have your 1st gi? what you do with it? i know, kinda silly thread, but w/e gott have my kid moments :uhyeah:

Well, I was in the attic some years ago looking for something and my sons were with me. They came across a box holding my old gi, sparring gear, belts, and trophies/medals. That caused them to want to go into martial arts. I signed them up and my oldest son then took over wearing my original gi. I thought that was cool... I then went back to martial arts. I'm glad we all did find that box!

- Ceicei

I still have my first gi. It is a black size 4 from Century. I've had it since March 7th, 1984.

I have outgrown it but I only wear a size 5 so I can still wear it. In 21 years the only thing wrong with it is one small tear on the left knee, which has been patched. Of course it's not quite as thick anymore and maybe more gray than black but I love it.

Although I usually wear one of my other gis, I keep this one handy. I wear it when I take my belt tests. It reminds me where I started and that the journey is never complete.

During my move many years back, I seem to have lost one box containing alot of my karate stuff from back in the day. Fortunately for me, my original gi top wasn't in it. I still have that top which is an original KI brand from Japan. Cost me about $35.00 for the complete set back in the 80's. Overall the jacket is still in great shape besides the fading and some fraying, also a group of us had modified it somewhat by adding on some tiger camo material to the inside, thus making it a reversible gi top. It is a size 3, with no hope of me ever getting into it again :(. I'm sure I'll be passing it on one day tho :)

eek..84...i was born then...wow i feel young..kinda nice %-}

-4 ... I was 15 and a sophomore in high school.

... ack ...

*holds old gi and quietly weeps*

I passed on my first gi to my daughter last year. Now she has a new one that she can pass down to me, if I ever grow three inches taller!:cool:

I passed on my first gi to my teenage son - who has since outgrown it, so now my daughter wears it when I force her. I think I'll put it away for a while.

Oh yeah - and in 1984, I was in college too (graduated in 83).

shesulsa said:
Oh yeah - and in 1984, I was in college too (graduated in 83).
D'oh! Sounds vaguely familiar....although I just left out the specific years back in the 80's ;):p

Latest Discussions

Back