Summer Recipes

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It has been so hot out lately (we are having a bit of a reprieve this week only going into the low 80's). I have been trying to avoid cooking indoors, which is okay cause I love to barbeque anyways.

Figured I would start a thread on some bbq recipes and salads etc. as I am running out of ideas. :)

SPINACH SALAD

This recipe I just kind of eye ball the amounts. Depending on how many people need to be fed.

Baby spinach leaves
thinly sliced apples (green or golden delicious are nice)
strawberries

slice the apples and the strawberries and toss them into the baby spinach leaves. I have found that a creamy poppyseed dressing (kraft brand I do believe) or a raspberry vinegrette is really nice with the spinach.

FRESH CUCUMBER AND ONION SALAD

If you are lucky enough to have fresh small cucumbers from your garden and sweet onion, these are the best. Simply peel and cut the cucumbers and the onions in a bowl. In a jar place about a cup of sour cream (low fat works too) and add vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. The amount of vinegar is dependent on how tart you want the dressing to be. Shake the mixture adding more sour creme or vinegar and salt and pepper and simply pour it over the cucumbers and onion. It is delicious.

Anyone else have a good recipe to share?

For a quick and easy BBQ sauce, mix ketchup, worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, granulated or powdered garlic. No measurements because I keep "adjusting" until it tastes right.
You can also add honey for a honey BBQ sauce.

Jello cake - one of my favorites

Make a cake according to the package directions. I find that mild flavors such as white or yellow cake are best for this; chocolate is too overwhelming for the Jello. Bake in a standard flat cake pan (9 x 14); avoid non-stick pans if possible, as you will be cutting the cake in the pan. Allow cake to cool.

While cake is cooling, mix up a package of Jello according to the package directions. Sugar-free Jello is fine. Set aside while using a large fork (serving forks or the fork from a carving set work great for this) to punch holes in the cake, in rows across the length and width of the cake. Pour the liquid Jello evenly over the cake, allowing it to soak into the fork holes. Place cake in refrigerator to allow Jello to set.

Make another package of Jello according to package directions. Allow to soft-set (about half the time given on the package - semi-firm, but you can still poke your finger or a spoon in without resistance). Using a hand blender on low speed, mix the Jello with a 16 ounce package of Cool Whip (fat free or reduced fat works fine). Allow to set in refrigerator if needed. Use to frost cake. If mixture sticks to spatula or knife, try dipping it in hot water. Place frosted cake in refrigerator until frosting is set. Serve cold.

Damn that cake sounds good Kacey. Thanks. I think I will make it tonight :D

Lisa said:
Damn that cake sounds good Kacey. Thanks. I think I will make it tonight :D

Enjoy - I like yellow cake with fruit flavored Jello best - and I don't always use the same flavor for the cake and the frosting. If you use a glass/pyrex pan, you can see the Jello through the sides. Don't be afraid to poke a LOT of holes in the cake; I usually go in rows about an inch apart, all down the cake. Besides being cold, it's also got a lot of water in it, which is nice on hot days.

German varation of the cucumber salad.

Mix sliced cucumbers, onions, enough vinegar to saturate (or to choke a horse :)), parsley, salt, pepper and table spoon or two of sugar. I usually "eye" all the ingredients. Mix and put in the fridge overnight. Mix up again before serving.

Appertif:
1 ea. 24 oz thermo type mug
8 ea. ice cubes
4 oz. Tanqueray gin
18 oz. (or enough to fill the mug 1/8" from the top) Schwepp's Tonic Water
2 ea. Lime wedges

Gently drop the ice cubes into the mug, pour the Tanqueray over the ice, add tonic water, squeeze lime wedges over drink. Stir. Sip. Repeat as necessary.

Then toss 1 marinated pork loin on the grill with 3 pounds of baby red potatoes (liberally coated with olive oil, dill, salt and pepper, and a little garlic). The porkloin will take approximatley 30 to 40 minutes to cook; turn every 5 minutes. The potatoes will take about the same amount of time so turn them at the same time as the porkloin - if they finish early stack 'em up on the warming shelf of the grill or push them off to one side with a piece of aluminium foil under them to prevent burning and turn the heat down LOWon that side. With 5 minutes remaining toss 1 bunch of fresh picked asparagus (with the bottom 2" or so trimmed off) onto the grill - after drizzling them with olive oil, season with salt and pepper just before taking off the grill.

Marinade for porkloin - Olive oil 1/4 Cup, Soy sauce - 1 Cup, Garlic (fresh preferred) 4 cloves minced, lemon juice - 1 Tbsp, Ginger (fresh chopped preferred) 2 Tbsps, Dried Mustard 1 tsp. Combine all ingredients together in a bowl then pour over the porkloin. Let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours, turning the porkloin over a couple of times.

fireman00 said:
Marinade for porkloin - Olive oil 1/4 Cup, Soy sauce - 1 Cup, Garlic (fresh preferred) 4 cloves minced, lemon juice - 1 Tbsp, Ginger (fresh chopped preferred) 2 Tbsps, Dried Mustard 1 tsp. Combine all ingredients together in a bowl then pour over the porkloin. Let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours, turning the porkloin over a couple of times.
This marinade sounds really good. I may have to give it a try...

Latest Discussions

Back