schroea4652

White Belt
Reaction score
My daughter is dying to do the split sword for competition. Does anyone have any idea how we can get our hands on one??

My daughter is dying to do the split sword for competition. Does anyone have any idea how we can get our hands on one??
I am not sure I know what you mean by “split sword”. But whatever it is, her instructor should be able to help you purchase one. She DOES have an instructor, doesn’t she? If she wants to do it in competition?

I am not sure I know what you mean by “split sword”. But whatever it is, her instructor should be able to help you purchase one. She DOES have an instructor, doesn’t she? If she wants to do it in competition?
It is a sword that can be used as one sword and then can be split into 2. Century martial arts used to make them but no longer do. Wondering if anyone on this forum has one:)

It is a sword that can be used as one sword and then can be split into 2. Century martial arts used to make them but no longer do. Wondering if anyone on this forum has one:)
Chinese martial arts sometimes include double swords, one held in each hand. They fit together into one scabbard and can then look like a single sword if you do not look too closely. But they are not meant to be used as a single weapon. They are definitely doubles, one for each hand. Sometimes the form will begin with both held in one hand as if they are one sword, but they are very quickly transferred one into each hand.

I ask again: she has an instructor? Because this isn’t something she can just figure out on her own, or simply make up her own stuff. There is a right way and a wrong way to do this stuff and the wrong way can get you or someone nearby, hurt. The right way is to learn from a good instructor.

Yes, she is a third degree black belt and has been competing for over 6 years with 3 different world champ instructors. They encouraged me to go onto forums to see if anyone had one available. The XMA magnetic dual swords were made by century but were discontinued a few years back. However, they are allowed to still compete with them.

Yes, she is a third degree black belt and has been competing for over 6 years with 3 different world champ instructors. They encouraged me to go onto forums to see if anyone had one available. The XMA magnetic dual swords were made by century but were discontinued a few years back. However, they are allowed to still compete with them.
Ok well, that sounds like something different from what I am familiar with and I don’t have anything to offer then. But to be clear, she is getting instruction in their use? You are simply having trouble locating one for her? Would her instructor have one she could use?

Yes, she has plenty of instruction but just not the dual sword. None of her 3 instructors have one and I hear they are extremely hard to come by:)

Yes, she has plenty of instruction but just not the dual sword. None of her 3 instructors have one and I hear they are extremely hard to come by:)
Ok, I am not sure I understand what you are saying here. She has instruction (specifically in the split sword, I mean) but none of her instructors has one? But they must have one that she has used in the training? But she cannot use it for competition? Or they don’t have one at all? If so, how has she been trained with it?

She has multiple instructors. Not specific in dual swords but in swords. We are good with instruction. She has not been trained with it yet, we have to find one first. She has seen it in competition before and wants to try it.

She has multiple instructors. Not specific in dual swords but in swords. We are good with instruction. She has not been trained with it yet, we have to find one first. She has seen it in competition before and wants to try it.
Ok well, I don’t have any suggestions for you, the split sword is not in my experience. Best of luck to you.

I'm still not sure what you're describing. Can you maybe share a picture?

I'm still not sure what you're describing. Can you maybe share a picture?
My suspicion is that it is something like this:

Only it sounds like there are magnets holding it together so it can be used as a single sword, or broken apart and used as two swords. This would be a modern invention for XMA and not a traditional weapon.

Is it a sort of ‘sword twirling’ type of thing?

You can look on YouTube for XMA or Extreme Martial Arts. I would equate it with the American answer to China’s Modern Wushu performance/competition martial arts.
Nothing specific came up with those key words. Would the OP post a video of what this activity entails?

Is it this kind of thing?
Oh my goodness 😳 This is to swordsmanship what this is to equestrian sports.

Latest Discussions

Back