Skillet, Switchfoot, Seven Places, Audio A, SONICFLOOd, and the like(Christian Bands)

S

ShaolinWolf

Hey

Anybody here like the Skillet, Switchfoot, Audio Adrenaline(Audio A), SONICFLOOd, 12 Stones, Tait, Relient K, SuperChic[k], and the like(Christian Bands)? Especially Alternative?(well, that's all I listed for the moment.)

Some other Alternative might be Chevelle, Delirious?, 38th Parallel, Kutless, By the Tree, Number One Gun, Seven Places, Barlow Girl, Matthew West, Casting Crowns, Inhabited, Third Day, DownHere, Anberlin, Paul Wright, Jeremy Camp, Everyday Sunday, Spoken, Thousand Foot Krutch, Sky Harbor, East West, FM Static, Falling Up, BlindSide, and so many more!

Wha'cha like?

:asian:

I used to hate Christian rock with purple passion. It all had that same cheap (Van Halen's Jump) keyboards, and no competition!!! However, I listen to Christian rock on the radio every now and then and I will say it has gotten a lot better. The Lyrics are still on the cheesy side, but it is, now, astheticly pleasing.
Sean

Well, there are groups like Pillar, Petra, and other hardcore groups. Basically Heavy Metal.

ShaolinWolf said:
Well, there are groups like Pillar, Petra, and other hardcore groups. Basically Heavy Metal.
Petra was hardly an hardcore band. The dude from Kansas ("dust in the wind") stepped down to that. It was all crap I tell ya; you are truly blessed not to have been a teenager in the eighties :asian:
sean

Yeah, well. LOL. Petra could be considered soft rock depending where you listen to them. I've heard them in concert and they scream in the mics sometimes. Yeah, m'bad. Petra is soft rock from the 80s. LOL. I haven't listened to them in a while.

So, anybody got the new Skillet:Collide? I loved the cover picture!

:supcool:

I remember Petra. I still like some of their songs. I like Michael W. Smith, D.C. Talk and Newsboys. I like select songs from other groups too but for some I probably don't know which songs belong to which groups. About a month or two back, I went with bunch of people my age from my church to Six Flags for their Christian concert day (mainly to see Newsboys) and Jeremey Camp was there but I had never heard of him before. The only other concerts I've been too was OC Supertones (a couple of years ago) and MANY years ago, Michael W Smith (Chris Rice opened for him), Steven Curtis Chapman (Newsboys opened for him), and Point of Grace (LONG time ago that was)!

Robyn :asian:

Touch'O'Death said:
Petra was hardly an hardcore band. The dude from Kansas ("dust in the wind") stepped down to that. It was all crap I tell ya; you are truly blessed not to have been a teenager in the eighties :asian:
sean
Almost Sean.

Kerry Livgren wrote 'Dust in the Wind'. He did convert to Christianity in the mid-eighties. He did form a Christian band, called 'AD' with Dave Hope, the original bass player from Kansas. To my knowledge, Kerry has no affiliation with 'Petra'.

When Steve Walsh left the band for a short time in the eighties, John Elefante took over primary vocal responsibilities for Kansas on the 'Vinal Confessions' (and maybe 'Drastic Measures'). John Elefante, and his brother Dino are somehow connected to Petra.

Kerry Livgren owns a farm in Georgia. He is very involved with his local church. He continues to record a wide variety of music, including his Christian music, a recent Kansas album (Somewhere to Nowhere(?)), and some generic soundtrack stuff (One of several possible musiks - oddyssey into the mind's eye - when things get electric).

Obviously ... I'm a big Kerry Livgren fan. :)

Mike

michaeledward said:
Almost Sean.

Kerry Livgren wrote 'Dust in the Wind'. He did convert to Christianity in the mid-eighties. He did form a Christian band, called 'AD' with Dave Hope, the original bass player from Kansas. To my knowledge, Kerry has no affiliation with 'Petra'.

When Steve Walsh left the band for a short time in the eighties, John Elefante took over primary vocal responsibilities for Kansas on the 'Vinal Confessions' (and maybe 'Drastic Measures'). John Elefante, and his brother Dino are somehow connected to Petra.

Kerry Livgren owns a farm in Georgia. He is very involved with his local church. He continues to record a wide variety of music, including his Christian music, a recent Kansas album (Somewhere to Nowhere(?)), and some generic soundtrack stuff (One of several possible musiks - oddyssey into the mind's eye - when things get electric).

Obviously ... I'm a big Kerry Livgren fan. :)

Mike
I stand corrected. :asian: Incidently my Ex-father in law's bosses daughter married that guy.(small world)

I remember liking the band "One bad pig" but my all time favorite christian rock band is "Kings X" but they are on a secular lable.
Sean

I was looking a couple months ago at the Dove awards and noticed the increase in awards. There used to be like 5-7 and now there are like 20-25 awards. LOL. There wasn't really any for Christian Rock but now there is rap, rock, and other awards in both those categories.

I don't listen to Rap, but I like tobyMAC and some of Kirk Franklin.

Has anybody heard the of the band "Tourniquet"? More christian metal rock. I listened to their cd "Crawl to China" and was initially unimpressed. However, there is a really great balad on the cd, track 5 I think, can't remember, and it gave me a reason to listen to the album again. Upon repeated listenings, I did like the album. The singer isn't great, but I like some of the music and lyrics, and sometimes it really shines.

I didn't originally like Christian rock, although I appreciate the message. I just felt it was too limited. Not because of the subject matter, but because the artists were limiting their scope and not being creative enough. I feel that it has really grown and branched out throughout the nineties. Now there's some pretty decent stuff out there.

-Rob

Thesemindz said:
I didn't originally like Christian rock, although I appreciate the message. I just felt it was too limited. Not because of the subject matter, but because the artists were limiting their scope and not being creative enough. I feel that it has really grown and branched out throughout the nineties. Now there's some pretty decent stuff out there.

-Rob
I agree. I didn't really start liking Christian rock back at the beginning of the ninties and early eighties. I like it now. It has so changed and I just love it. Seems the sound is better too. Especially with all the new talent.

Has anybody heard the of the band "Tourniquet"? More christian metal rock. I listened to their cd "Crawl to China" and was initially unimpressed. However, there is a really great balad on the cd, track 5 I think, can't remember, and it gave me a reason to listen to the album again. Upon repeated listenings, I did like the album. The singer isn't great, but I like some of the music and lyrics, and sometimes it really shines.
I've heard of the group. I think I've heard some of their music, though I can't remember off the top of my head.

What about POD?

Some of my favorites are:

Judean Radiostatic, Audio Paradox, Killing the Old Man, Rackets and Drapes...

All Christian Industrial.

I like Michael W. Smith, MercyMe, DC Talk, Jars of Clay, Newsboys, Tree 63, Sonic Flood, Steven Curtis Chapman, Geoff Moore and a few others.

Delirious, Tim Hughes, Fono, POD, Audio Adrenaline, Rebecca St James (hmmm...sometimes), DC Talk, Audiogene, U2 (debateable), Tribe (ha! kidding.), even Phatfish when I can be bothered...

Hey anybody like Jeremy Camp? He came out in 2002. I love his music, especially his songs "Right Here", "Take My Life", "I still believe". Great stuff!

The ones that I listen to the most are Casting Crowns, Audio A, Rebecca St. James, Skillet, Switchfoot, Newsboys, FFH, Avalon, SCC, Jeremy Camp, Mark Schultz, SONICFLOOd, 12 Stones, Superchi[k], Third day, tobyMAC. I listen to Z 88.3 of Orlando, FL, which plays constantly all those bands/artists, and more.

:asian:

Ryan

Back