Responsibility of teachers/administrators

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
First off I dont know if this is the right section, but by logical reasoning I figured it would get the most traffic. With that being said on with the topic at hand...

While training yesterday me and the assistant instructor were complement on a student to her mother. In passing her mother told us a story of how her daughter was begging to beat up a kid for putting his hand down her sisters pant in the middle of class.

I was floored when I heard her say this and my only immediate response was WTF? Basically this 11 yr old boy decided to stick his hand down the pants of an 11yr old girl in the middle of class. The mother found out and was told that the administration at the school had been informed and that a complaint was filed by the teacher and that someone would call the mother on Monday (12/10). No one caller so she called the school and asked what was going to happen. Come to find out the administration of the school had no idea what the mother was talking about but that they would look into. She found out yesterday (12/11) that the teacher was going to be punished.

Now obviously there are many issues here but the one I find disturbing is that the teacher did not report the incident, lied about reporting and, as far as the mother knows, is going to keep her teaching license. Again...WTF? Is it just me or does this situation seemed ****ed up (sorry for the language but...yea).

thoughts? What should be done? to the boy? the teacher? what do you think will happen? what kind of **** storm could this cause in the media?

B

Unless there are some really extenuating circumstances, the teacher should be fired. As described, that was a blatant sexual assault! At a minimum, the boy should be suspended for several days; criminal charges are a definite possibility.

Oh... and the girl? She should've decked the little jerk!

First off I dont know if this is the right section, but by logical reasoning I figured it would get the most traffic. With that being said on with the topic at hand...

While training yesterday me and the assistant instructor were complement on a student to her mother. In passing her mother told us a story of how her daughter was begging to beat up a kid for putting his hand down her sisters pant in the middle of class.

I was floored when I heard her say this and my only immediate response was WTF? Basically this 11 yr old boy decided to stick his hand down the pants of an 11yr old girl in the middle of class. The mother found out and was told that the administration at the school had been informed and that a complaint was filed by the teacher and that someone would call the mother on Monday (12/10). No one caller so she called the school and asked what was going to happen. Come to find out the administration of the school had no idea what the mother was talking about but that they would look into. She found out yesterday (12/11) that the teacher was going to be punished.

Now obviously there are many issues here but the one I find disturbing is that the teacher did not report the incident, lied about reporting and, as far as the mother knows, is going to keep her teaching license. Again...WTF? Is it just me or does this situation seemed ****ed up (sorry for the language but...yea).

thoughts? What should be done? to the boy? the teacher? what do you think will happen? what kind of **** storm could this cause in the media?

B

Was this in class at school, or class at the dojo? I'm confused.

I believe there's a "duty to report" sexual assaults. This certainly qualifies. The lying demands firing, and the combination may be a criminal offense.

The mother should probably tell her daughter not to stomp a mudhole in the boy. There hasn't been any official report, so it would look like she's the bully. However, if he does it again, she would probably be within her rights to use physical force necessary to stop a serious crime - sexual assault - from continuing and "holding him until the arrival of the legal authorities".

Was this in class at school, or class at the dojo? I'm confused.
I agree the lying alone constitutes firing. As I understand it in KY there is a "no tolerance" policy when it come to sexual harrasment whether physical or verbal. I told the teacher to go directly to the principal if he doesnt do anything to move straight up the ladder until it is resolved.

B

The boy should be suspended immediately, pending an expulsion hearing; expulsion will depend on previous inappropriate actions.

The teacher should be placed on administrative leave while the school investigates why the incident was not reported; ALL incidents that are suspected to be sexual in nature (whether they turn out to be or not) MUST be reported, by law.

I'd tell the assaulted girl what I tell my son:
No one EVER has any right to lay their hands on you, if they do BE LOUD about it RIGHT THEN, Yell! GET YOUR HANDS OFF ME! knock their hands away, hit 'em if you have to, you will never get in trouble for making someone stop touching you. If the sister were right there when it happened, she too would be justified in yelling and or knocking the hands away or hitting the offender to stop it.

The boy should be suspended immediately, pending an expulsion hearing; expulsion will depend on previous inappropriate actions.

The teacher should be placed on administrative leave while the school investigates why the incident was not reported; ALL incidents that are suspected to be sexual in nature (whether they turn out to be or not) MUST be reported, by law.

These are the same step here in Texas

Im waiting to hear what happens. I will keep you updated. Thank God its not me and my kids in this situation...Id lose it

B

That reminds me of something that happened to me, no where near as bad, but still crappy.

This was 2 years ago (I was a sophomore in high school). After homeroom, some guy came up behind me and said "nice ... (yah)". Well, silly me thought he was talking to some girl, nope. Talking to me. Next thing I know, I got some guys hand on my left tushie cheak... you can imagine how I felt.
My first reaction was to spin around and smash my foot into his stomach. Needless to say, he was not happy. He was so not happy, that he (yes he) and his freinds started to half-circle me (I had one side guarded by a wall), and they threated to kill me, run me over, beat me up, and so on. I was in guard, and not afaird of any of them.
Well, they didn't kill me, or anything like that. Life went on, I ended up getting forced into reporting it (I have less then no faith in my schools admin). When my admin finally got around into looking into it (a week or two later), she found nothing. Infact, she said that if anything did happen I would be expelled (mr. grabby would be suspended). All because I wanted to defend the virginity of my left tushie cheek. Ohh, by the way, there were witnesses. Well, people certainly know something happened. It's hard to not notice me yelling at the top of my lungs "F- Off"

Wait, Kacey, they have to reported by law? Is that pretty much every where?

CN, don't know how your situation would shake out (wouldn't be with blaming the victim, though), but as a teacher myself, if the the 11-yr old on 11-yr-old situation happened in my purview I would have picked up the phone and called PD immediately. To me, that's clearly a police matter. On the heels of that, parents and admin have responsibilities/rights to be informed/actions to be taken. In fact, I've done this very thing. Anything else just isn't an option.

Wait, Kacey, they have to reported by law? Is that pretty much every where?

I cannot speak for any state but Colorado, although I would be surprised if other states were different. In Colorado, school staff are mandated reporters when any type of child abuse (sexual, physical, emotional, neglect, etc.) is suspected. The question in your case is, was it child sexual abuse? From your description it is; however, unless a teacher observed the incident, it could easily be determined to be bullying - serious, but not a mandated report.

I cannot speak for any state but Colorado, although I would be surprised if other states were different. In Colorado, school staff are mandated reporters when any type of child abuse (sexual, physical, emotional, neglect, etc.) is suspected. The question in your case is, was it child sexual abuse? From your description it is; however, unless a teacher observed the incident, it could easily be determined to be bullying - serious, but not a mandated report.
As far as I'm aware, most if not all states have designated police, teachers, doctors, and therapists as mandatory reportors. This means that if they have reason to believe that a child has been abused, they must report it. I'm not 100% certain if child-on-child sexual battery as described would qualify, due to vagaries of how things are written. However... I'd have been taking the kid into custody (committed an act that would be a felony if done by an adult & is presenting a threat to the public) unless their was something very significant as extenuating circumstances. (About all I can think of is certain sorts of developmental disabilities. In other words -- where the kid who put his hand down her pants is unable to understand that it's wrong.) So, this teacher has some pretty serious explaining to do.

With that... there could be some extenuating circumstances. I know someone who, when he was in high school (more than 20 years ago), was dared to bite a girl's breast in math class. He did it, over her clothes. I don't recall exactly what the school did to him; he was charged and placed on probation. Which, given the totality of the circumstances, was reasonable.

-broads angrily over basicly being robed-

Latest Discussions

Back