New kyokushin championship with pricemoney

Fungus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The 1st version of a new KCC (Karate Champion of Champions) was in Tokyo last weekend.

Unlike most karate competitions, they put some pricemoney in this. The winner in each class hot 10 million JPY ~ 65k USD.

But it is a competitions where only former champions from other tournaments are involved, so nothing for random fortune seekers.

Most of the fights are a bit boring to watch, as usual in the style, as they hardly kick, they merely trade body punches.
But one match was a little more fun. It was dominated also buy the male winner of the KCC, Yuki Okada from Japan.
In the finals however, I am not sure what happened, he mysteriously trippled twice, seemingly on his own, and he went done once from what may have been a jaw or throat hit, but the reruns looks unclear to me. Anway the semin-final match was the one most fun watching.

Here:

I wish all sport karate tournaments gave out prize money. Doesn’t have to be a lot, but it would be nice.

They started doing that in New England back in the seventies and it drew more people to competitions. For those of us who were going to compete anyway, it was great, it helped with expenses.

They stopped it because they’re promoters. And we all know how promoters are.

I wish all sport karate tournaments gave out prize money. Doesn’t have to be a lot, but it would be nice.

They started doing that in New England back in the seventies and it drew more people to competitions. For those of us who were going to compete anyway, it was great, it helped with expenses.

They stopped it because they’re promoters. And we all know how promoters are.
This also was the case on the West coast during that time. A few hundred dollars, winner take all.

I was at the first big money tournament - $10,000. Benny U., his brother Reuben (who got dropped with a kidney or liver shot), the rest of his clan and a bunch of other notables entered. Norris and Stone did not compete. As expected, it was a hard-fought event. Not surprisingly, Joe Lewis won. Well, he won the tournament. The money was not paid and the promoter, E. F., disappeared. Not a crowd you'd want to piss off. Don't know how the story ended as I left the karate business world soon afterwards.

This also was the case on the West coast during that time. A few hundred dollars, winner take all.

I was at the first big money tournament - $10,000. Benny U., his brother Reuben (who got dropped with a kidney or liver shot), the rest of his clan and a bunch of other notables entered. Norris and Stone did not compete. As expected, it was a hard-fought event. Not surprisingly, Joe Lewis won. Well, he won the tournament. The money was not paid and the promoter, E. F., disappeared. Not a crowd you'd want to piss off. Don't know how the story ended as I left the karate business world soon afterwards.

That’s a great story.

I remember Joe telling me he fought in a professional tournament put on by Jim Harrison in Kansas City. Joe won and got the prize money. One dollar.

That’s a great story.

I remember Joe telling me he fought in a professional tournament put on by Jim Harrison in Kansas City. Joe won and got the prize money. One dollar.
Sounds similar to the Battle of days. Big names would come from all over just to fights. No monetary gain, just glory.

Just FYI, it's "prize money", not "price money".

Sounds similar to the Battle of days. Big names would come from all over just to fights. No monetary gain, just glory.
***Edit***
My post was supposed to say the Battle of Memphis days.
Not sure what happened there.

Back