Martial Arts for those in their 40's and 50's

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I thought this would be a good book so I'm creating a thread because it's easier than reading a book. Feel free to add to it. I only ask that the category of your advice be posted fist. For example:

Category: Flexibility
Add recommendation after the category.

Category: Flexibility

Make Flexibility exercises a priority and don't think of it as a preparation activity. Think of it as a main activity to be done before and or after exercises. If the concept of stretching is boring then take yoga, or some other popular exercise activity that focuses on flexibility.Flexibility..

Be cautious of stretching that may shift Rendon out of alignment. I find that that sometimes long static stretches sometimes shift my tendons out of place. . I try to stretch in a way that requires my body to move from one position and then back to normal. .This helps to build strength for the movement. I also don't do force stretching si.y because by body doesn't snap back like it did when I was young. My elasticity isn't what it used to.

I'm 37 and fast approaching my 40's plus I have some service connected disability so I have to kind of take it easy when I train. I definitely put the time into stretch, definitely do not want to skip but also don't want to overdo it. Flexibility is important for sure!

I'm 37 and fast approaching my 40's plus I have some service connected disability so I have to kind of take it easy when I train. I definitely put the time into stretch, definitely do not want to skip but also don't want to overdo it. Flexibility is important for sure!
This is actually my biggest problem. I'm able to push beyond my flexibility, which as one can imagine causes tons of issues once the movement stops. I'm finding that I'm stretching more stuff other than the big muscle groups. I have to train st 50% until my flexibility and strength improves and none of this happened until I started doing more ground fighting. Going from vertical to horizontal is a big change for me. More than I expected.

Category Healing:

I have designated healing times after certain activities which includes boosting my nutrient intake and rehab if needed. Rehab is for those days that I pushed too hard. If it's severe then I'll go to my doctor who manually gets the cramped muscles out. His prescription is Qi Gong exercises, 701 medical tape, hydration and anti-inflamatory foods. The biggest challenge for me is rest/sleep. I don't give myself enough time for that. I'll have to dedicate some time and let family know not to disturb me during that time. But first I need to find 2 hours to dedicate on the regular.

I am 78 with severe medical issues. Fortunately I started martial arts training as a kid and continued up until a few years ago when I was simply stopped in my tracks (so to speak). So I guess over 50 years mostly full blast followed by gradual reducing intensity for another 10 years or so. For a few years now virtually any training at all has been impossible. But I did keep one benefit from my youth and that is flexibility. It's not great but my doctors have been rather surprised at the "better than average" level of flexibility I've maintained.

I try to stretch a little and do movement exercises though the schedule is full of starts and stops. For us seniors it's a true bonus if we stayed in shape throughout our youth as it does carry over into our later years. Age isn't my issue it rather disabilities independent of age. Yes, gentle stretching - shouldn't it always be gentle - is quite effective for seniors and those in the middle years. The PT program for Parkinson's patients helped a great deal and I couldn't help but notice the similarities with Chi Gong and other recommended programs.

Category: Adapt your strategy to your issues

What "strategy" means depends on your goals with MA, but wether it's perfecting som katas or get better in fighting I think it's good to adapt your strategy so one can invest time and wear/tear on body wisely. For myself, I have no illusion that I am ever going to be as fast and quick as the kids, nor will I be able to in a robust and stable we be able to excel in head level kicking. So I have tried to pick techniques, stances and combos that harmonize with my body, my back issues etc, and then try to get better in all the things I can do, that are not in contradiction with any age or injury related issues. I have found this additional challenge to be a spice. I don't aspire to kick as fast or as high as everyone else, but still aspire to get better than others in those few techniques where I have a chance to excel, by simply training those teqhniquest more than others, that spread their training out over a larger set of techniques.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times”
- Bruce Lee

So given alot of issues, as lone as there is a few teqchniques you CAN do, try to do it well. This is my philosohpy atm.

Yes, gentle stretching - shouldn't it always be gentle
It would be interesting to see who still does the forced stretching that I did when in high school.
The PT program for Parkinson's patients helped a great deal and I couldn't help but notice the similarities with Chi Gong and other recommended programs.
Are you able to still do those type of exercises?

It would be interesting to see who still does the forced stretching that I did when in high school.

Are you able to still do those type of exercises?
I still do the following stretching exercises daily.

- Put leg on table and use left hand to touch right toes.
- Do forward-backward split on the ground.
- Do side split on the ground.
- Swing leg overhead.
- Do both inside and outside crescent kicks overhead.
- Do leg lift behind with head down and leg up.

Outside crescent kick:

Forward-backward floor split:

front_split.jpg

Table stretch:
stretch.jpg

Leg lift behind with head down and leg up:

Last edited:
I did keep one benefit from my youth and that is flexibility.
When you have developed flexibility during your young age, flexibility becomes your DNA. It will be with you for the rest of your life. It's much easier to "maintain" your flexibility after you have developed it.

For us seniors it's a true bonus if we stayed in shape throughout our youth as it does carry over into our later years.
One of the best things about MA. Working out becomes a lifestyle to some extent. While this is true for those in other physical pursuits, I notice many athletes who have stayed in shape for 20 or 30 years stop working out as they become seniors. But I think those in MA for several decades, at least TMA, tend to keep working out until they are just physically unable to do it. Maybe one reason is that MA is not just exercise which can get boring after 30, years. It offers much more to keep its practitioners interested and involved in the activity. Also, being a self-identified martial artist, perhaps being in shape becomes part of the package and so less apt to be abandoned.

As for stretching, even in my prime I didn't spend a lot of time on it. Now I do even less (but still do some). Yes, I can't any longer get a kick up to the head, but since my leg speed isn't what it used to be, a head kick would not be a wise tactic even if I could do it. It would take too long to safely get there so not much downside.

But IMO, the MOST IMPORTANT thing for seniors is to keep a young mind. Once you start thinking you're old your body will act accordingly.

One of the best things about MA. Working out becomes a lifestyle to some extent.
Agree with you 100% there. The day when you treat workout as "battery recharging", the day that you have the right attitude toward MA training - if you don't charge your battery, your battery will die. This kind of attitude will make you to continue your MA training through your whole life.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back