Law Enforcement V. Terrorists for Kerry

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
On Tuesday, a Bush supported dressed up as a terrorist and was waving a 'Kerry for President' sign in downtown Nashua. Opinions?

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041105/NEWS01/111050006

City police handed suit by protestor
By ANDREW WOLFE, Telegraph Staff
[email protected]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Published: Friday, Nov. 5, 2004[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NASHUA - The Bedford man who dressed as a terrorist in the hope of scaring up votes for President Bush has filed a “petition for redress” against city police.

Joseph Galibois, of 45 Federation Road, filed his petition Thursday afternoon in Hillsborough County Superior Court.

Galibois seeks a written apology and $208 in punitive damages from Sgt. John Fisher, whom he charges violated his constitutional rights by threatening him with arrest.

“Sgt. Fisher infringed upon my Constitutionally protected right to freedom of expression by unlawfully intimidating me with a threat of prosecution for crimes that I had not committed, was not committing and gave no indication that I would commit,” Galibois wrote.

Galibois’ petition asks the court to order Fisher to write him an apology acknowledging that Fisher violated his civil rights, and to pay him $1 a week every Tuesday until the next presidential election, for a total of $208.

Galibois paid the standard $145 fee to file his petition, and he said the $208 would be more symbolic than anything.“It gives him something to think about. Hopefully, as he writes the check, he’ll remember why he’s doing it. I don’t want any money, I just don’t want this to happen again,” Galibois said Thursday.

Galibois sent a copy of his petition to the New Hampshire Civil Liberties Union, in the hope that the organization will take up his case, he said.

“I’m probably going to need help. I just wanted to get the ball started,” he said.

Galibois dressed up as a “terrorist” to illustrate his view that John Kerry is soft on terrorism, and that terrorists would prefer Kerry to Bush, he said.

He donned black shoes, pants, shirt and ski mask, olive-green ammunition bandoleers and a plastic squirt gun that resembled an assault rifle, except for the bright orange cap at the end of the barrel. He carried a homemade Kerry sign, and waved at people passing by.

Police said they ordered Galibois to take off his mask and put away his gun and bandoleers because of complaints that he was alarming people, and the officers’ observations that he was distracting motorists, creating a traffic hazard.

Galibois was out on Library Hill from about 10 a.m. until 1:45 p.m., when Fisher confronted him, Galibois said.

Police said Fisher first spotted Galibois arguing with other campaigners near Amherst Street School, but Galibois said he never left the triangular area around the Soldiers and Sailors Monument.

Galibois said Fisher told him that he would be charged with disorderly conduct and making a false public alarm if he didn’t comply, and gave him four minutes to do so. When Galibois asked Fisher why he couldn’t at least keep his ski mask on, he said Fisher replied, “I’m not playing that game with you today.”

Deputy Police Chief Wayne MacDonald defended the officer’s handling of the matter Wednesday, saying Galibois’ theatrics were causing a traffic hazard.
[/font]

We arrested a guy recently for waving a glue gun at passing traffic. At first glance it could have been mistaken for a gun. Cars were all over the place because when you catch some guy out of the corner of your eye, waving what appears to be a gun at you you get a little upset. In this case, I would "assume" the police responded to a complaint or series of complaints about this guy and they had to deal with the problem one way or another.

Tgace said:
We arrested a guy recently for waving a glue gun at passing traffic. At first glance it could have been mistaken for a gun. Cars were all over the place because when you catch some guy out of the corner of your eye, waving what appears to be a gun at you you get a little upset. In this case, I would "assume" the police responded to a complaint or series of complaints about this guy and they had to deal with the problem one way or another.
Had the guy been without the toy gun, I would be the first to proclaim that his rights had been infringed, but I can fully understand how, wearing what he was AND brandishing a mock weapon that many would become alarmed at the sight. Not all are familiar with the visual differences between the toy gun and the real thing. He was causing a disturbance. The arguing with other members of the public further demonstrates that this was no completely "peaceful" exercising of his personal freedoms.

If the LEO were there in response to a call/calls and there is observable evidence that he is causing a hazard/distraction to drivers....he is 'choose unwisely.'

I agree that in a vacuum discussion of civil liberties, you 'should not be judged/penalized for what you wear' but in reality if what you are wearing/doing is causing concern/distraction/hazard to the community, expect to deal with the police. Now, even if he was fine up until then, when the police tell you to do something that is reasonable like "four minutes and out" and you don't comply....that is another charge.

Just like in the military, as long as it isn't something that is going to put you in immediate danger or others, comply and then report after. Otherwise it isn't the original issue that you will be hooked up for but the noncompliance.

I dont know what the intent of the thread is.

Trying to say that the cops were trampling free speach, or trying to see if we of the "conservative" bent will be outraged that a Bush supporter was harassed by the police. Where we wouldnt have been if it was a Kerry supporter.

I think the guy here was lucky he got off with a warning. Dont see his lawsuit getting very far.

Galibois is being ridiculous :whip: . An individual who behaves in that manner causing a disturbance as he did deserves to be arrested. I commend the patience that the officers displayed in this matter.

-Vadim

Galibois should be encarcerated for being stupid. I think stupidity should be criminalized...but we'd need bigger prisons.

Latest Discussions

Back