Korean Woman vs. Three Japanese Men

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2011/07/29/2011072901331.html?news_Head2

you are going to have ot go to google translate for this but from what I understand a tv
station set up an demo where a female Korean fighter was supposed to fight 3 Japanese men fighters.
Apparently the men did not care and went all out. But the Korean female fighter held her own.

Apparently she was injured when she fought and it further aggravated her injuries.
http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2011/07/30/2011073000462.html?news_Head1

I have heard of stories where a foreign fighter will be setup against a Japanese ringer, but
this is disgraceful on part of the Japanese fighters.

Terrible. This is a crime if you ask me.

Better video.
[yt]L19iexizrQM[/yt]

Thanks for posting that. I hadn`t seen the show, but I recognised all 3 comedians. I knew that the first one went to a kickboxing gym, but I`d never heard he was ever in any pro fights. As for the other two, I had no idea they had any training at all. But obviously they have and it made for a pretty disgusting one-sided display. I hate to say it, but this is just the kind of thing I`ve come to expect from Japanese TV. On some levels I can`t wait to get back to the US.

Thanks for posting that. I hadn`t seen the show, but I recognised all 3 comedians. I knew that the first one went to a kickboxing gym, but I`d never heard he was ever in any pro fights. As for the other two, I had no idea they had any training at all. But obviously they have and it made for a pretty disgusting one-sided display. I hate to say it, but this is just the kind of thing I`ve come to expect from Japanese TV. On some levels I can`t wait to get back to the US.
I seriously do not understand Japanese culture. As a Japanese resident David43515, can you explain what they were maybe thinking here? I would appreciate your view on it as it (and many other Japanese cultural "pleasures") are a little beyond me as a westerner. Thank you, Jenna

Wow! This really made me mad. How can these people possibly be proud of themselves? Disgusting!!! This is not comedy. I don't care how you look at it... not funny.

James

Not sure where the joke is either? But am positive where the lessons are. The fight games are not games. It is a business and often dirty, unethical and often plays to base emotions. Set-ups are old news and nothing new. Many business dealings are just as bad if not worse. That it was a woman fighting makes it 'news' but it will happen again and again until it is no longer news. She screwed up and signed her name. She trusted her people who should be fired if possible and trusted the promoters, never a wise thing. Yet she showed good heart and was able to protect herself. Whether a fighter or a person making a business deal learning from others is beneficial, have good people around you, know the background of those involved, go in with eyes open and have an exit strategy. Pride helped her finish the fight but it also contributed to her being there. Did she get the part or fame she was seeking? Hope that her injuries heal quickly and fully.

Regards
Brian King

...And the Japanese wonder why so many Koreans and Chinese still have so much animosity towards Japan?! This, sadly is nothing more than a public display of Japanese sexist & racist mentality at its lowest (by today's standards, anyway).
I'd so love to see these so-called 'men' come to Okinawa with their tv show and try this crap here. I'd be more than happy to be a volunteer gaijin and step in the ring with them. Of course, I'd kindly ask them to take off ALL the gear (including the gloves) just as the match was underway...
The only thing 'funny' about these clowns is the fact that they are paid to act like scum.

She should have taken the gloves off and took those bastards eyeballs out , what kind of soft cock thinks it's ok to get in the ring and kick the **** out of a woman.

I seriously do not understand Japanese culture. As a Japanese resident David43515, can you explain what they were maybe thinking here? I would appreciate your view on it as it (and many other Japanese cultural "pleasures") are a little beyond me as a westerner. Thank you, Jenna

We all like to see the other fellow squirm so comedy is often about putting someone in an uncomfortable situation. But it`s only funny when it happens to the other guy. Mel Brooks once explained it this way: "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall in an open manhole and die."

To an extent that`s true. We all grew up laughing at Tom and Jerry bashing each other or giggling at Wiley Coyote having one miserable failure after another. Japan takes that mentality to a whole new level. It`s still a very hierachial (sp) society and what we would call teasing or bullying is still a big part of it. Yopu see it on comedies here all the time. But this show was kind of a rarity here. There are PLENTY of shows that would have the comedians beating each other up, especially on a lotion-covered mat so that they slip and slide with every step. But shows that bring an unknown like this Korean fighter into the mix are almost unheard of. But any time (let me say it again for emphasis) ANY TIME they bring out a foreigner to compete against a Japanese in any sport or game they will ALWAYS stack the odds heavily in their favor. Every single time. It`s a given. I don`t think I know any Japanese who would have thought the fight was funny....but I know several who wouldn`t have been upset by it or seen it as unfair because even though she was outclassed in weight,reach, etc she`s a pro fighter. And they like to see other Japanese win.

To be fair, there`s a male Korean fighter who`s like 7'2" and built like a tank. He regularly appears on TV and picks on Japanese comedians......but I`ve never seen any of them try to step into the ring with him. This was just a sad display of bullying culture. It wasn`t funny or interesting.

I coach Jr High track, and we have a few kids in our region who are foreign born or just half Japanese. At the moment they`re all elementary school kids so they`re the same size as their Japanese classmates and I`ve never seen anyone ever discriminate against them. But a friend that coached in Tokyo many years ago said that there were some Jr High competitions down there where they were told not to let the foreign born kids compete until the semifinals because they were bigger and faster than the Japanese kids and the parents wanted to see their kids have a chance at least at the biggining.

On the few occations I`ve trained MA with Japanese I`ve always been made to feel very welcome, but if you talk to the old guys they always have stories of the foreigner being put in his place. You rarely see that anymore. But it seems like they still don`t mind having a ringer in place as long as it works in their favor.

Please don`t ask me to explain Cosplay, hentai, maid cafe`s, or the fascination with robots and anime......I`ve been here 9 years altogether but there are some things I still just don`t get.

David43515,

I lived with my family in Tokyo as a tweenager. I went to an international school with a very curious social heirarchy. The closer the girls were to being Japanese, the more popular they were. Brownie points were given for DNA, cultural assimilation, and linguistic fluency. It's a function of how girls jockey for social position around the world, but also a comment on how insular Japanese society still is. My family had many Japanese friends, and no matter how often we had them over for dinner and socialized elsewhere, we were never invited into their homes. This was a constant among most of the expats in our circles. It was back in the mid-80s, so maybe things have changed since then.

After watching the video, I'm curious about what the commentators were saying. Anything interesting there?

Japanese rarely invite someone home for dinner or host parties at their homes. MNost people have smaller homes that are cramped or cluttered by western standards so they aren`t good for parties. Or they simply preffer to invite you out to a resturaunt so that they don`t have to worry about the cooking and clean up. I`ll watch again later and see what I can get from the commentary.

Latest Discussions

Back