Interested in the history of Kenpo

Bushidojeff

White Belt
Reaction score
I have always been intersted in Kenpo and its history. Do you guys have time for a history fan asking dumb questtions? In in all my years in American Sport karate I have never coome across a practioner. Parker was the godfather of American sport karate. Sad he never go to see how point fighting developed developed and seeing the GOAT Raymond Daniels step into the cage and the kickboxing ring destroying fighters.

I have always been intersted in Kenpo and its history. Do you guys have time for a history fan asking dumb questtions? In in all my years in American Sport karate I have never coome across a practioner. Parker was the godfather of American sport karate. Sad he never go to see how point fighting developed developed and seeing the GOAT Raymond Daniels step into the cage and the kickboxing ring destroying fighters.

Ed Parker not only saw how point fighting developed, he was instrumental in quite a bit of it.

Ed Parker not only saw how point fighting developed, he was instrumental in quite a bit of it.
I heard Ed Parker was a really nice guy and extremely skilled. I also like reading about his bromance with Elvis. But was Elvis a legit black belt or was it more of an honorary from Mr. Parker?

I heard Ed Parker was a really nice guy and extremely skilled. I also like reading about his bromance with Elvis. But was Elvis a legit black belt or was it more of an honorary from Mr. Parker?
If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that Elvis was probably a legitimate black belt, but the high degree he was given was probably hard to justify as an outsider looking in. And as time wore on, I suspect he did not work to retain the skills. Use it or lose it.

I also like reading about his bromance with Elvis.
Ed Parker devised a great system and was a pioneer in establishing some of the first karate schools in Southern California. He was also a marketing visionary seeing the value of associating with well-known celebrities to help build up his brand and reputation. "Bromance" is not the way I'd describe his relationship with Elvis.

His International Karate Championships was the premier tournament in the country (world?) which gave him access to the best fighters around. He was a top promoter, assembling sparring teams and individuals to travel around the world. His efforts were instrumental, as Buka notes, in the development of professional point and contact karate along with Chuck Norris, Joe Lewis and Bill Wallace as the headliners

Amateur point karate existed independently of all this. Aaron Banks, Mike Stone, Chuck Norris, Alan Steen
Jhoon Rhee, Ralph Krauss and many other lesser-known sensei held tournaments on local and regional levels in the 60's and 70's. These tournaments gave the opportunity for tens of thousands of everyday karate practitioners to partake in matching their sparring skill before the advent of monolithic competition organizations which turned sport sparring into a specialized thing all its own.

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that Elvis was probably a legitimate black belt, but the high degree he was given was probably hard to justify as an outsider looking in. And as time wore on, I suspect he did not work to retain the skills. Use it or lose it.
The high degree was maybe an honorary due to his celebrity status, plus having Elvis as a friend may have helped add status to Mr. Parker's career. Supposedly Elvis gave him a car too? Either way, I'm sure it didn't hurt to be seen training with Elvis Presley. The stories are fantastic.

What’s the question?

You knew Ed Parker?
I ran a kenpo school for a couple of years along with a business associate of his and had a few private lessons from him. Also had a little business promotion and social interaction so got an inside look behind the scenes - interesting and educational time.

From the footage I've seen, Elvis definitely was maybe close to a yellow belt. :)

I ran a kenpo school for a couple of years along with a business associate of his and had a few private lessons from him. Also had a little business promotion and social interaction so got an inside look behind the scenes - interesting and educational time.
Wow, that is awesome. How was he? Did you enjoy the time training with him?

Where is the question?

Back