Helping others

tae-kwon-tad

White Belt
Reaction score
So there are three white belts in my class right now, myself, my roommate and one other guy. My roommate and I have at least decent martial arts backgrounds, and so far are really having no troubles with the basics. The other guy on the other hand, seems to be struggling a little with some things, stance, proper wrist/arm positioning for a punch or block, etc. I've been trying to help him out, give him a few pointers and such...

Is this ok? I'm just a white belt myself, VERY far from being a master or anything, but he has been improving quite abit. I think that he's a great guy, and really want him to be able to test for our next belt with us in Dec, and even more for him to pass, I like our little trio. So whats the proper way to go about this? I'm a touch nervous to ask my instructors, again, I'm just a white belt and don't want to over step my boundaries or anything like that...

Helping others is one of the best thing any Martial artist can do. Keep helping as long as your instructor does not mind.

Never be afraid to ask your instructor about issues pertaining to your own progress or assisting another student

Never be afraid to be motivated to assist another student. As you mature, you will be aware of times to say something and times to let them discover on their own, but the motivation should still be too lift them up.

There's a difference between helping your buddy train and trying to teach him. If you're essentially just saying "hey, your bengding your wrist again, and help him pull the lessons together, that's great. You're being a good training partner. But if you're trying to teach him material that he's never seen ... and you don't really know yourself... that's a notable problem.

I agree with the above - as a training partner, you can always help those around you with what is being taught right now; as jks said, no matter what your experience, don't teach other students things that they haven't been taught in class.

If you think you might be doing something you shouldn't - talk to your instructor, and see what s/he prefers; that's always the best thing to do. Being an instructor myself, I've never had a problem with that type question (or any other question related to class, if it comes to that!).

Just a note. in my class, older students and students who can do things on the average level will be asked to TEACH and HELP the other students. if say after a particular grading, students need t olearn new forms, those selected ones will be doing the teaching.[to the lower grades of course, because the ones teaching haven't learnt the new stuff too]. But it's usually standard though, as in the people teaching.

As for me, because I've always been self-learning the forms at home, and have been doing them well enough to the instructor's expectations, she doesn't see a problem with me teaching kids of the same rank the as me the new stuff they needa learn[im 18]. there was once she got me to teach a 4th Geup kid her form when I was a 5th Geup after asking me if I learnt the 4th Geup stuff which I responded positively. As I know my forms well more or less, occasionally seniors will ask me to help them revise their forms that they have forgotten, or try their luck with me to see if I've learnt the stuff they need to learn after grading. I usually learn 2 grades above on my own so that going to class is more of a revision and refinement session thing, but with 3rd Geup onwards [im 4th Geup now] I probably will only be learning 1 grade in advance due to increase in difficulty.

Anyway just to say don't worry. If you're worried that you;re teaching the wrong thing, ask the instructor. They are there to instruct. For me I approach my instructor for every single detail regarding my forms, which section to "aim", how much bend, what angle etc. Don't be afraid to ask and to teahc. When you teach you may spot errors that you do not spot when doing the steps yourself.

Latest Discussions

Back