Hello from California

TaiQiKarate

White Belt
Reaction score
Howdy from the S,F Bay Area of California. I've been practicing karate for a couple of years but have started studying Tai Chi Chuan. I like it. Does anybody else practice Tai chi?

Welcome to MT, TaiQi. I train in Kenpo but have never tried Tai Chi Chuan.
Trying to change from a hard style like karate is not easy. It's difficult to believe that a soft style like Tai Chi can be so effective in martial arts. Trying to use relaxed power instead of hard muscle power is difficult

Trying to change from a hard style like karate is not easy. It's difficult to believe that a soft style like Tai Chi can be so effective in martial arts. Trying to use relaxed power instead of hard muscle power is difficult
I used to train a little in Aikido which is another soft style. It's been a big change getting into Kenpo!

Welcome to Martial Talk, TaiQiKarate. 🤗

welcome

what part of SF bay area are you from...🙂
can you share a little on the taiji, and teacher
you started you practice with..

good luck 👍

Howdy from the S,F Bay Area of California. I've been practicing karate for a couple of years but have started studying Tai Chi Chuan. I like it. Does anybody else practice Tai chi?
Hello from "Real" Upstate NY.... I have done taijiquan for over 30 year and use to teach. As for Karate, I got a couple weeks of lessons over 45 years ago in Villari's Kenpo.

Welcome. There are quite a few Tai Chi Chuan practitioners here. I practice Yang long style.

It's difficult to believe that a soft style like Tai Chi can be so effective in martial arts.
If you use

- advance hammer,
- twin peaks to the year,
- striking tiger,
- pull bow and shoot arrow,
- turn around hammer,
- snake extend tone,
- shoulder extends to the arm,
- hammer under elbow,

to hurt your enemy, are you using soft skill, or hard skill?

IMO, soft skill is used for defense or throwing art. Hard skill is used for offense or striking art. You do need both.

Last edited:
welcome

what part of SF bay area are you from...🙂
can you share a little on the taiji, and teacher
you started you practice with..

good luck 👍
Sure. I live in South San Jose. I am learning Chen style from one of George Xu's original students. He had a regular job so he does not teach for a living. And he does not accept many students. So, I lucked out in running into him.

Sure. I live in South San Jose. I am learning Chen style from one of George Xu's original students. He had a regular job so he does not teach for a living. And he does not accept many students. So, I lucked out in running into him.
Cool,, saw some of George's work in SF...long ago..Think it was Golden Gate park...🤔
Used to work with small groups in the Fremont / Sunnyvale area....

good luck your practice 👍

If you use

- advance hammer,
- twin peaks to the year,
- striking tiger,
- pull bow and shoot arrow,
- turn around hammer,
- snake extend tone,
- shoulder extends to the arm,
- hammer under elbow,

to hurt your enemy, are you using soft skill, or hard skill?

IMO, soft skill is used for defense or throwing art. Hard skill is used for offense or striking art. You do need both.
Chen style using a lot of Chin Na bone locking so it is very soft until a quick, hard, twist dislocates the joint. I am not at that level yet but my teacher explains it well and demonstrates it well.

Latest Discussions

Back