Grandson and me?

opr1945

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So I have an 11 year old grandson studying Tae Kwan do in a city about 1 hour away. Today another grandson expressed interest in Martial Arts, and he lives 1 mile from me. I am studying Uechi Ryu for a few months now. I chose this style as I am within spitting distance of 80 years old. The style taught at the Dojo I attend does not seem to include spinning kicks, high kicks, getting tossed to the ground or grappling. I am not very flexable, am fragile and am lacking in endourance. That is why I choose where I am.

I plan on visiting several styles of Martial Arts with my grandson. He has expressed a desire have us study at the same dojo at the same time. He has expressed an interest in BJJ, which I think my not be best for mat becuse my limitations mentioned above.

1. Is it advisable for us to do it together?
2. Am I likely to get injured if I switch to BJJ to be with him (if that is what he wants to do) (as I am fragile)?

Thanks.

I am studying Uechi Ryu for a few months now. I chose this style as I am within spitting distance of 80 years old. The style taught at the Dojo I attend does not seem to include spinning kicks, high kicks, getting tossed to the ground or grappling. I am not very flexable, am fragile and am lacking in endourance. That is why I choose where I am.

I plan on visiting several styles of Martial Arts with my grandson. He has expressed a desire have us study at the same dojo at the same time.
Great that you're into TMA at your age and that your grandson wishes to study with you! Uechi ryu is a very traditional Okinawan style that does not stress fancy kicks or ground grappling. When you get more advanced you will find there are grabs and other standup grappling techniques employed. This art is much different than BJJ. I agree with your reasons for thinking BJJ is not right for you. Your grandson has the option of either one. I suggest you have your grandson try out Uechi ryu with you and get a taste of what it's like, including its more advanced version if the sensei will give him a taste of that. If he is then still set on BJJ it seems you will not get the pleasure of sharing the same art.

So I have an 11 year old grandson studying Tae Kwan do in a city about 1 hour away. Today another grandson expressed interest in Martial Arts, and he lives 1 mile from me. I am studying Uechi Ryu for a few months now. I chose this style as I am within spitting distance of 80 years old. The style taught at the Dojo I attend does not seem to include spinning kicks, high kicks, getting tossed to the ground or grappling. I am not very flexable, am fragile and am lacking in endourance. That is why I choose where I am.

I plan on visiting several styles of Martial Arts with my grandson. He has expressed a desire have us study at the same dojo at the same time. He has expressed an interest in BJJ, which I think my not be best for mat becuse my limitations mentioned above.

1. Is it advisable for us to do it together?
2. Am I likely to get injured if I switch to BJJ to be with him (if that is what he wants to do) (as I am fragile)?

Thanks.
1. Absolutely. I train often together with my 10yo son and it's a blast for both me and him - I enrolled in a Shotokan dojo exactly to do that.

At these ages, they have limited understanding and interest in the real applicative part (which is even scary for them, my son is a sweet kid and wouldn't think of harming others) so the fact that Shotokan ignores that completely is a good thing.

Occasionally I show him some of what the movements actually are about, and for example he enjoyed being able to unbalance me even if we have more than two/thirds of weight difference, but it's definitely not his primary focus. Which is just fine. He did manage to counter a throat choke at school from a troubled kid using a bit of kata I taught him, but stopped at the "knockout" followup (and his restraint made me proud as well) so that's also fun. :)

But he appreciates the thrill of learning body control and powering limbs out of body movements, the satisfaction of learning movements and katas and of getting on top at the occasional competition ... but the best is undoubtedly to go together.

2. It's unlikely you are "fragile"; there's no such thing, unless you have some underlying medical condition.

You are probably "simply" very unconditioned, and getting better is your first goal.

To do that, at your age, I'd think that the best way to do it is with "natural" conditioning, i.e. starting to do regular and consistent exercise whilst eating and sleeping properly, which progressively brings your cardio level , your muscle mass and your tendons up to a better state. Near 80s it happens slower than earlier, but still happens and the best moment to start is now - like you have already done. So kudos for that!

In BJJ and Judo you usually roll with other people, many of which will be younger. So yes, I'd rather start with an art which allows you to have that progressivity and does not require, as you correctly say, great athleticism at the beginning. Okinawan styles of karate are better than japs,for example, and better than TKD etc. The style you're doing is a good choice, so tell him you'll be happy to bring him along.

I am sure your grandson isn't that interested in a specific thing, but more in going with someone he likes to be with.

Last edited:
He and I are going to visit several dojos over the next few weeks to see what appeals to him. I hope he follows through with it. thanks. OPR1945

Well, that was short lived. His mother (my daughter) decided that he was already committed to enough activities, cross country, ice hockey, track. So until he drops one of those no martial arts. Oh, well. maybe next time. I have a small area in my garage with matts, standing heavy bag, makiwara, mirrors, and dvd/large TV, dumbells in it. He asked if he could come over and use it. Of course I said yes. We'll see what the future holds.

Well, that was short lived. His mother (my daughter) decided that he was already committed to enough activities, cross country, ice hockey, track. So until he drops one of those no martial arts. Oh, well. maybe next time. I have a small area in my garage with matts, standing heavy bag, makiwara, mirrors, and dvd/large TV, dumbells in it. He asked if he could come over and use it. Of course I said yes. We'll see what the future holds.
In a way it's right, I always thought kids are better off focusing on one thing that they like rather than half a dozen at a time.

But at 11 your grandson is already developing his own preferences, so it's important that he knows that he can drop stuff he's not particularly into - often at that they age they don't because they think it would displease their parents. It's their parents job to let them know it's ok.

Yeah, he just decided to drop violin lessons.
Good…violin is for wusses. Punching people it much better.

Kids these days have so many after school activities and parents are essentially taxis! I only practised Karate in my teens and my parents hugely disapproved thinking I should be devoting my time to my studies. They reluctantly gave me the occasionally lift home from the class if it was a late finish (bus to the class) and their silent treatment while driving made it very unpleasant. I’m surprised I stuck to it.

Back