Gathering of Eagles

Have you ever attended the Gathering of Eagles ????

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
KENPOJOE said:
Hi Masherdong!
Unfortunately, there are presently no plans for a TGOTE event by the tracys this year. I hope that they do pepeat the 1999 & 2001 events as they were wonderful kenpo events for all to attend!
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE
Hi Joe! I never realized you interviewed each of the "eagles". That's so cool. I never attended either of the events but one of my black belts was at the first one.

Question: who selected the kenpo/kempo masters? Who were the representatives of American Kenpo besides Larry Tatum and Bob White? I heard Steve Spry was one??? Or at least I saw a picture of him at the event?

Thanks,

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Seabrook said:
Hi Joe! I never realized you interviewed each of the "eagles". That's so cool. I never attended either of the events but one of my black belts was at the first one.

Question: who selected the kenpo/kempo masters? Who were the representatives of American Kenpo besides Larry Tatum and Bob White? I heard Steve Spry was one??? Or at least I saw a picture of him at the event?

Thanks,

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com
Hi Folks!
Dear Jamie,
I was asked by the Tracys [Al & Pat] to do the interviews for the gathering of the eagles 2001 due to the facts that I had interviewed Mr. Tracy in Massachusetts and he knew I didn't have a biased view on kenpo history. Also, it was on the reccomendation of Mr. John Deluca, also of massachusetts,who owns a tracy studio and has visited my studio in massachusetts and instructed seminars there.
Once I got to Las Vegas to start doing the interviews, there were several video equipment problems and it was decided to have Mr. Joe Nieto assist by doing some of the interviews at another part of the facility. Remember: there were over 60 masters to interview at that event and try to film seminars as well!
In regards to the selection process,Mr. Tracy picked who were there to represent American Kenpo. there was Mr. Tatum,Conatser,White,and Spry. In addition there were several individuals who were well known in kenpo circles such as Ron Sanchez,Clyde Obriant,Tom Bleeker and myself there as well.
Mr. Tracy tried to transfer the footage onto DVD format to sell but there were compatibility issues.
I hope that I was of some service,
KENPOJOE

KENPOJOE said:
Hi Folks!
Dear Jamie,
I was asked by the Tracys [Al & Pat] to do the interviews for the gathering of the eagles 2001 due to the facts that I had interviewed Mr. Tracy in Massachusetts and he knew I didn't have a biased view on kenpo history. Also, it was on the reccomendation of Mr. John Deluca, also of massachusetts,who owns a tracy studio and has visited my studio in massachusetts and instructed seminars there.
Once I got to Las Vegas to start doing the interviews, there were several video equipment problems and it was decided to have Mr. Joe Nieto assist by doing some of the interviews at another part of the facility. Remember: there were over 60 masters to interview at that event and try to film seminars as well!
In regards to the selection process,Mr. Tracy picked who were there to represent American Kenpo. there was Mr. Tatum,Conatser,White,and Spry. In addition there were several individuals who were well known in kenpo circles such as Ron Sanchez,Clyde Obriant,Tom Bleeker and myself there as well.
Mr. Tracy tried to transfer the footage onto DVD format to sell but there were compatibility issues.
I hope that I was of some service,
KENPOJOE
Thanks for the info Joe. The only reason I asked about Steve Spry was that he has taken a lot of heat about his skill, rank, Grandmaster title (which I don't think he should be using), standards, ect. As such, I find it interesting that he was selected.

Your thoughts?

Jamie Seabrook

Seabrook said:
Thanks for the info Joe. The only reason I asked about Steve Spry was that he has taken a lot of heat about his skill, rank, Grandmaster title (which I don't think he should be using), standards, ect. As such, I find it interesting that he was selected.

Your thoughts?

Jamie Seabrook
Ed Parker said in an interview that he caught a lot of hell from other martial artists for inviting all the people that he did to his first Long Beach Internationals. He invited everyone he could think of including Bruce Tegner etc. He said people would come up to him and say things like, "Why'd you have to invite him?" etc;. about various people. His response was that he was interested in promoting the martial arts period, and anyone that had any reputation at all got the invite.

masherdong said:
I would love to go. How do you get invited?
* There is a Gathering which is held by Mr. Bruce Jutnik and usually held in Sacramento. I have been attending it for several years and really enjoy it. Thomas Young has been in attendance almost every year. He is the last remaining black belt from the era of Professor Chow and Mitosi. I have met many top people from the old days there and there is no jealousey whatsoever. It has been a great pleasure to be a member and associated with that event. I was invited to the Gathering of the Eagles when it first started but was declined to attend my our board due to the negative feedbacks that was printed on the Tracy's Website about Professor Chow...nuff said! To reach Mr. Jutnik's organization you can contact (916) 988-6586 and ask to speak to Hanshi Bruce Jutnik.
Aloha,
Grandmaster Kuoha

CoolKempoDude said:
these 2 questions are good. I'm sure that somebody here will answer your questions.

anybody knows the answer for these? if you do, please share
* As I have relayed to in several articles in magazines, etc. that Bill Chun Sr. was one of the highest ranking students promoted by Professor Chow. In a taped interview with Professor Chow he states that Bill Chun Sr. was a 5th dan under him, but unfortunately he had not seen or heard from him for the past several years (the interview was done in the late 70's so that means Bill Chun Sr. had not kept in contact prior to that). Professor Chow states that Bill Chun Sr. was a good instructor but he had hoped that he kept in contact. In the late 70's Professor Chow started to innovate the Kara-Ho System and made it more refined, deadly, faster and more direct. Bill Chun Sr. was not around during that time of these innovations so there is a destinctive difference between the two systems. Remember I trained in the Kara-Ho System under Master Kuheana in the late 50's and between from what I learned in those old days till I started training again in the 70's there was a big difference...nothing better or worse but different. It also seemed harder to learn in the modified system of the 70's but very much moving in the right direction. I love it as it challenges the mind to the max and also the body. It is much more internal now then it has ever been and so I would say that it now keeps you on your toes. You've got to watch the instructors now to see what Kara-Ho has to offer.
Mahalo,
Grandmaster Kuoha

gmkuoha said:
* There is a Gathering which is held by Mr. Bruce Jutnik and usually held in Sacramento. I have been attending it for several years and really enjoy it. Thomas Young has been in attendance almost every year. He is the last remaining black belt from the era of Professor Chow and Mitosi. I have met many top people from the old days there and there is no jealousey whatsoever. It has been a great pleasure to be a member and associated with that event. I was invited to the Gathering of the Eagles when it first started but was declined to attend my our board due to the negative feedbacks that was printed on the Tracy's Website about Professor Chow...nuff said! To reach Mr. Jutnik's organization you can contact (916) 988-6586 and ask to speak to Hanshi Bruce Jutnik.
Aloha,
Grandmaster Kuoha
Having attended the gathering for several years, it is truely one of a kind. There are many great teachers of the Kenpo arts there. Having worked with GM Kuoha at the gathering, was cool! He is a patient teacher. What would make it better....More kenpo!!
BTW GM probably meant Paul Yamaguchi, insted of Thomas Young

Seabrook said:

Your thoughts?

Jamie Seabrook
Ah,Steve Spry, a notorious figure in AK's history, was invited and selected to be a Master.??you must not be kidding me right???

i would love to know how this happened.?
looking forward to reasoning.

BTW GM probably meant Paul Yamaguchi, insted of Thomas Young[/QUOTE] Sorry, yes, that is who I meant, thanks for correcting me.
Grandmaster Kuoha

I was at both Gatherings and I found Steve Spry to be a really nice guy. At the last one My friend and I spent a good portion of the night just talking to him and doing some gambling, by the end he gave us both $100 chips as he left. And one of his students he had with him was HOT! she was a model or something :uhyeah:

Yes, he is a nice guy.

BTW - you guys were gambling with $100 chips?

Yikes,

Jamie Seabrook

Back