Front Fall

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
1724375251126.png

This is a falling technique I've learned in TKD and HKD, and seen in instructional material for BJJ and Judo. The front breakfall. In my experience, there are two main ways that martial arts deal with the front fall. The front breakfall (shown above) and the front roll. The biomechanics of the front roll are very similar to the side and rear breakfalls that are common in many arts. But the front breakfall is (in my mind) more akin to the way you're told not to fall to the back or side.

I do think this is better than falling on your hands, as your forearms can help dissipate the impact. I also think it's better on your shoulders and elbows than if you were to fall backwards and land on your elbows, due to the rotational direction of your arms in the fall.

Is there a use case for the front fall over the front roll? Is it less dangerous than I think? Reason I ask is I wonder if it's worth excluding from curriculums if it is more likely to be a problem over the front roll.

Yeah. There are throws that dump you face down.

I had a look but couldn't find a video.

But for example there is a single leg where you reach behind the leg you have grab the front of the knee of their other leg and sweep them sending them face first in to the mat with no chance to roll.

Last edited:
In my mind, front break falls like this are sort of a lesser of two evils type of thing. Forward rolling out of the fall is optimal, but a forward break fall like this is way better than landing face first.

View attachment 31518

This is a falling technique I've learned in TKD and HKD, and seen in instructional material for BJJ and Judo. The front breakfall. In my experience, there are two main ways that martial arts deal with the front fall. The front breakfall (shown above) and the front roll. The biomechanics of the front roll are very similar to the side and rear breakfalls that are common in many arts. But the front breakfall is (in my mind) more akin to the way you're told not to fall to the back or side.

I do think this is better than falling on your hands, as your forearms can help dissipate the impact. I also think it's better on your shoulders and elbows than if you were to fall backwards and land on your elbows, due to the rotational direction of your arms in the fall.

Is there a use case for the front fall over the front roll? Is it less dangerous than I think? Reason I ask is I wonder if it's worth excluding from curriculums if it is more likely to be a problem over the front roll.
Boy, does this bring back some old memories! I did this exact move many times as an 11 and 12 year old. No, I had no concept of MA at that age. I just did it for fun. Weird, huh? I have no idea of how I thought to do such a thing. Another pastime was jumping off the basement stairs. I think I got to at least 10 stairs. I loved the sensation of flying. In retrospect, I also loved the sensation of not breaking any bones.

A breakfall, whatever the direction is to absorb the impact when you can't roll or otherwise redirect the energy of the fall. A roll is for when you can redirect the fall's energy into motion. There are times you don't have the room or otherwise wouldn't want to roll away, or your point of balance just won't support the redirection. (Note: many judo and aikido throws are done in a manner to prevent that last element when training on one side or the other of the drill...)

Specifically -- a breakfall is different from merely catching yourself as you fall; you deliberately meet the ground and counter the force rather than trying to catch and make the fall softer. It's harder to put into words than to do... Your body is braced and prepared for the impact.

Latest Discussions

Back