• Cambeltown

• Islay

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What is your favorite scotch? Why? Where does it come from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_whisky

Scotland was traditionally divided into four regions: The Highlands, Lowland, Islay and Campbeltown.[citation needed]

Speyside, encompassing the Spey river valley in north-east Scotland, once considered part of the Highlands, has almost half of the total number of distilleries in Scotland within its geographic boundaries; consequently it is officially recognized as a region unto itself.

Campbeltown was removed as a region several years ago, yet was recently re-instated as a recognized production region.

The Islands is not recognized as a region by the SWA (Scotch Whisky Association) [1] and is instead considered part of the Highlands region.
Another version used by the Classic Malts Selection considers the Coastal Highlands as a sub-division of Highland Single Malts. This region includes Clynelish and Oban (Classic Malts Selection official website) [2]

Vote in the poll and tell us why! :)

My favorite scotches are all Islay. I love the peaty taste that these spirits are infused with. It is almost like actually tasting a place that is so far away.

I don't drink Scotch... so I didn't vote. Interesting information, though.

I don't drink Scotch... so I didn't vote. Interesting information, though.

It's an aquired taste like just about everything, but once you get it, its catchy.

A runner up to the Islay scotches is Oban. It's a very smooth scotch with a slightly peaty taste and a very mellow finish. People who smoke cigars tell me that Islays compliment the smoke and Oban is a good counterbalance.

Love the Islay malts, but nothing beats the Macallan 12 yr from Speyside. I tend to have one or two favorites from every region though.

I haven't really acquired a taste for scotch with strong peaty flavors so my preferences tend to be on the lighter side.

I like the Abelour 10 year old, and my favorite is the Glenmorangie 18. Looking in the liquor cabinet right now, the only thing I have is a bit of Glenmorangie 10 year old, time to go shopping.

Lamont

I'm a Highland man myself. Since Cardhu got bought out and ruined, my favourite is Balvenie. I like all the other kinds as well, Lagavulin in particular, but I always keep coming back to Highland malts. :)

-Mark

Wow. I thought religious arguments weren't allowed on MT :p

Latest Discussions

Back