Failed Body Lock Pass footage (Need advice)

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, it has been a while since I have posted here. I got promoted to blue belt back in May and have continued my training diligently. For a very long time now I have been specifically focusing on the body lock pass. It is a very difficult pass to pull off and learn, but I feel like my guard passing will be unstoppable once I master it. I have been watching a lot of instructionals surrounding it, specific Gordon Ryan’s one and Lachlan Giles course in his website Submeta.io

Today I was helping someone prepare for a competition they have this weekend; me and the club were running a shark tank on him and I was his first roll. You will see that after a takedown I manage to successfully enter the pass, only to get swept shortly after. However, I cannot see where I made a mistake that caused me to lose position. I managed to split his legs with only one butterfly hook inbetween my legs, and my head positioned on his shoulder to avoid him stiff framing my head away. I was hoping you could tell me where I went wrong?

I have only ever been swept like this a few times when J first began to learn the pass months ago; it hasn’t happened since except today, and I find I can hit the pass with mixed success against people in my level - I am just perfecting it now. Any other advice is welcome too!

Hey guys, it has been a while since I have posted here. I got promoted to blue belt back in May and have continued my training diligently. For a very long time now I have been specifically focusing on the body lock pass. It is a very difficult pass to pull off and learn, but I feel like my guard passing will be unstoppable once I master it. I have been watching a lot of instructionals surrounding it, specific Gordon Ryan’s one and Lachlan Giles course in his website Submeta.io

Today I was helping someone prepare for a competition they have this weekend; me and the club were running a shark tank on him and I was his first roll. You will see that after a takedown I manage to successfully enter the pass, only to get swept shortly after. However, I cannot see where I made a mistake that caused me to lose position. I managed to split his legs with only one butterfly hook inbetween my legs, and my head positioned on his shoulder to avoid him stiff framing my head away. I was hoping you could tell me where I went wrong?

I have only ever been swept like this a few times when J first began to learn the pass months ago; it hasn’t happened since except today, and I find I can hit the pass with mixed success against people in my level - I am just perfecting it now. Any other advice is welcome too!
I’m not qualified to give advice on this but thanks for posting you doing what you do.

Hi
Your centre of balance is directly over his. You want your weight to be more on your right hand (passing) side

Latest Discussions

Back