Dog Brothers Gathering

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've just come back from the 2024 Canadian Dog Brothers Open Gathering held outside Ottawa, Ontario. I went as an observer (my heightened Alpha Maleness doesn't extend to voluntarily being hit by a stick). Was great to see a variety of people I know, Dog Brothers and otherwise, from Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto.. Unfortunately I missed many of the fights, however did catch a few "normal" stick fighting matches. Did see a "silly fight", which was knife and hardcover book vs knife and hard cover book. And yes, they did "throw the book at him". Final was a group or team fight with a selection of weapons, including stick, knife, mai sok and chain. Interesting melee fight. An entertaining afternoon for sure.

I saw some videos of Dog Brothers gatherings and I was almost instantly going "well, I admire what you guys do, but I'm gonna be a little wimp and stick to what I do", LOL.

I am old, damaged and soft. They're at least seven levels more hardcore than I am.

But that knife and book fight sounds hilarious .

I don't like the Dog Brothers. They have corrupted Eskrima, Kali, and Arnis. It isn't pure Eskrima, Kali, or Arnis anymore and became highly watered down and impractical. Just a bunch of Westerners trying to look badass. The best Arnis warriors were the native Filipino guerilla freedom fighters that routinely humiliated the colonial spanish fencers and the WW2 kenjutsu imperial genocidal rapist Japanese soldiers in hand-to-hand combat, melees, and duels.

I don't like the Dog Brothers. They have corrupted Eskrima, Kali, and Arnis. It isn't pure Eskrima, Kali, or Arnis anymore and became highly watered down and impractical. Just a bunch of Westerners trying to look badass. The best Arnis warriors were the native Filipino guerilla freedom fighters that routinely humiliated the colonial spanish fencers and the WW2 kenjutsu imperial genocidal rapist Japanese soldiers in hand-to-hand combat, melees, and duels.
Thank you for your expert opinion. Watered down AND full contact at the same time? Interesting. I guess the fact the Dog Brothers at the gathering including the second highest ranked person in thr world in Pekiti Tersia Kali ( and original Dog brother) two others with Tuhon rankings and one with Mandala ranking means you know more about the FMA arts then they do, after all, what's your rank?

So your best examples are from 500 years ago, or more recently, like 75 years ago? Oddly enough , your example of superior fighters lost their country to the Spaniards they routinely humiliated. Maybe they weren't all that. But then that didn't happen in your second example, no wait.....

Back