Converter Box Coupon for TV's

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I got this from the FCC website. If any of you don't use cable or satellite you will need a coverter in several months. You can get the voucher from the government for $40 off of a digital coverter box. It is being predicted that the boxes will cost $40-70, so this should help:

To help consumers with the DTV transition, the Government established the Digital-to-Analog Converter Box Coupon Program. The National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA), a part of the Department of Commerce, administers this program. Every U.S. household is eligible to receive up to two coupons, worth $40 each, toward the purchase of eligible digital-to-analog converter boxes. Beginning in January of 2008, the NTIA has begun accepting applications for coupons. The coupons may only be used for eligible converter boxes sold at participating consumer electronics retailers, and the coupons must be used at the time of purchase. Manufacturers estimate that digital-to-analog converter boxes will sell from $40 to $70 each. This is a one-time cost. For more information on the Digital-to-Analog Converter Box Coupon Program, visit www.dtv2009.gov, or call 1-888-388-2009 (voice) or 1-877-530-2634 (TTY).

Yeah, but that's presuming you do not have a digital receiver in your tv already. Television sets have been manufactured for a few years with this capability so check out your set first.
If your set is so old it doesn't have digital recievers, a new set might be the way to go.

True, but the tv in my spare room is older and I am about to drop Comcast (Comcast sucks) for dish. I expect a week or two gap where I have no cable.
Also, with this terrible economy, cutting off the cable is always an option to trim costs. Those boxes in the closet is nice to have.

AoG

If you haven't already checked, check out Direct TV costs. Here, it was cheaper than Dish and as there isn't any cable and the mountains prohibit an antenna, it was the best way to go.
....with all the crap on now, at least I can watch reruns of "Happy Days".

I got this from the FCC website. If any of you don't use cable or satellite you will need a coverter in several months. You can get the voucher from the government for $40 off of a digital coverter box. It is being predicted that the boxes will cost $40-70, so this should help:

To help consumers with the DTV transition, the Government established the Digital-to-Analog Converter Box Coupon Program. The National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA), a part of the Department of Commerce, administers this program. Every U.S. household is eligible to receive up to two coupons, worth $40 each, toward the purchase of eligible digital-to-analog converter boxes. Beginning in January of 2008, the NTIA has begun accepting applications for coupons. The coupons may only be used for eligible converter boxes sold at participating consumer electronics retailers, and the coupons must be used at the time of purchase. Manufacturers estimate that digital-to-analog converter boxes will sell from $40 to $70 each. This is a one-time cost. For more information on the Digital-to-Analog Converter Box Coupon Program, visit www.dtv2009.gov, or call 1-888-388-2009 (voice) or 1-877-530-2634 (TTY).

I have purchased one converter box and it works well. With a good antenna, I can get probably 20 more channels than I could without the box, that's about 30 total. The pictures are clear, no shadows or snow. With the coupon I picked the box up for $20 at Circuit City. I don't have cable on my bedroom televisions, so the box works well.

Latest Discussions

Back