CMA Translation of "Kata."

isshinryuronin

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looking for the Chinese equivalent term of "kata" or forms. I googled it but only came up with "taolu" which seems to be a recent term used in modern wushu. Is there an older more traditional word and what would be the literal translation in English? Thanks.

First i don’t speak Japanese so the exact translation of “Kata” I don’t know except for it as a general talk to mean - form or perhaps pattern.
Chinese - taolu - routine, something formalized.
“Xing” - shape/form can be an alternative

First i don’t speak Japanese so the exact translation of “Kata” I don’t know except for it as a general talk to mean - form or perhaps pattern.
Sorry if my question wasn't clear. This info is not needed, other than knowing that kata are memorized series of self-defense scenarios that I know kung fu does as well. I imagine several posters here would know as they post videos of them often here and practice them as well. So, what do you call them in Chinese?

As I said, "taolu" seems to be a recent modern wushu word but I'm looking for the traditional Chinese word. Are kung fu routines called "xing?" Is shape/form the literal translation?

Sorry if my question wasn't clear. This info is not needed, other than knowing that kata are memorized series of self-defense scenarios that I know kung fu does as well. I imagine several posters here would know as they post videos of them often here and practice them as well. So, what do you call them in Chinese?

As I said, "taolu" seems to be a recent modern wushu word but I'm looking for the traditional Chinese word. Are kung fu routines called "xing?" Is shape/form the literal translation?
China is a big country, dialects can differ vastly from place to place, also gongfu/ wushu hasn’t been that organized that one might would think, only with the modernization of China came organization of wushu, so taolu seem the term that came with the general organization of modern China.
Before that it was basically regional to the point of village styles doing their own stuff and ways.
“Xing” is used maybe not for “katas” but more for separate techniques/methods such as for Xin/Xingiquans Animal forms(Xing)

If we look at taijiquan, Chen TJQ’s forms are named yilu and erlu- first road and second road, so road - lu can be a way to refer to a form.

The “lu” is same as in “taolu”

Also in Chen Taiji they call their forms as laojia and xinjia. Old and new frame, so frame is another way to express the set of moves.

Perhaps “jia” has some language similarity within the Japanese word kata , maybe Ka or Ta ?
Really guessing about that

Back