Bill Shatner on Star Trek vs. Star Wars

Mr. Shatner... I have to ask you a question... did you even SEE Star Wars?

There were so many things that he said that just made me say HUH?? The only thing (to me anyway) those two films have in common at all... is that they're Sci-Fi adventures.
The women of Star Trek... at least those on TOS with the exception of the first episode, The Cage, (and one episode of the animated series) were mainly passive support cast. TNG had more proactive female crew-members, and even more so with DS-9 and Voyager which presented a strong cast of female characters... never watched any of the "Enterprise" episodes.
I wonder if Shatner remembers the Gorn, the Horta, Salt Vampire, Excalibans, Mugatos, Melkotians and a few others as never actually seeing the human behind the make-up... (or gorilla/rock/lizard suit).
Stories? Well sure Trek had 'em and a majority of them were quite good. Star Wars was an epic saga told in several parts. No comparison.
Sorry Billy but comparing the two is like apples and mangoes.

I never understood the whole Star Wars/Star Trek thing either. SW is a fantasy set in outer space, repeat with all the tropes of a fantasy, princesses, evil wizards, a black knight, unassailable castles, a young hero, wise old teacher, a rouge helping along, leaving your country life to take on an empire. I could go on, but the fact that it's set in space seems to confuse people.

Star Trek is thru and thru sci-fi and can't hide that at all. Even it's heavy philosophical lean (more evident in TNG and DS9) speak to that.

lol, Shatner has a sense of humour. I don't take this seriously. :jediduel::shock: He's just pushing the antagonism between SW and ST.

SW's always made me think of a democracy collapsing into a feudal system. ST is more like the UN only with cool costumes.

lol, Shatner has a sense of humour. I don't take this seriously. :jediduel::shock: He's just pushing the antagonism between SW and ST.

SW's always made me think of a democracy collapsing into a feudal system. ST is more like the UN only with cool costumes.

I agree. It seems to me that Shatner is having fun with it all. Nothing to take too seriously.

I agree. It seems to me that Shatner is having fun with it all. Nothing to take too seriously.

I love his arrogant sense of humour and I'm curious just how much he'll get away with as he gets older. %-}

he is pretty much right on every level. Star Wars pretty much sucked, and it was destroyed by the second three films. The whole idea was a barely re-written copy of hidden fortress....

Yes, yes... Bill Shatner is... well, Bill Shatner. Ergo, we have little choice but to love and forgive him for being...well, Bill Shatner.

Latest Discussions

Back