A Kata Called Scream

Yeah that one's been making the rounds for awhile now. I wonder what score she'd get in the 'Intensity' category...

When she said "AAOOOOOWWWW" I really felt that...

Can someone explain this to me? She does it a few times during the kata.... I can't quite figure out what the reason is for this movement....

1723119710382.png

Well immediately after that pose she opens her hands and sort of flings her arms out and back. Looks like she might be driving her arms up the inside, hooking the opponents arms then flinging them down and out. That's all I can figure. Had to watch the video in slow motion. Lol at first I thought that was supposed to be an attack to both armpits.

Maybe shes hanging off collar bones, then ripping them out and flinging them to the ground.

Can someone explain this to me? She does it a few times during the kata.... I can't quite figure out what the reason is for this movement....
Picking up the enemy by the ears perhaps? 😂

I must say... you guys have better explanations than I could come up with....

I could only come up with 2 possibilities:

1. This was a historical reference, to remind us of how things were done before the invention of the Squatty Potty. Additionally, that is the proper upper body and arm position to use, even with a modern day Squatty Potty. The raising of the arms, lifts the rib cage, elongating certain portions of the large intestine...

2. She was at the foot of the bed, lifting the sheets to see what was under them... upon seeing the cockroach, she screams and dances about a bit so as not to have it run onto her, while making a few attempts to kill it. Then when she loses sight of it, she checks under the bed sheet again.... etc

Like I said, I knew I was missing something.... thanks for pointing out the parts I misunderstood.

View attachment 31437
Well immediately after that pose she opens her hands and sort of flings her arms out and back. Looks like she might be driving her arms up the inside, hooking the opponents arms then flinging them down and out. That's all I can figure. Had to watch the video in slow motion. Lol at first I thought that was supposed to be an attack to both armpits.
Shuri-Ryu Karate - Advanced Tearing Peacock, sequence at 2:30

1. two people are grabbing my shoulders. I slap them in the groin
2. break the grab
3. intercept the choke
4. rake the eyes
5. push the arms out of the way
6. and drive upwards with palm heel like under the rib cage

https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/karate/why-is-this-woman-yelling

Last edited:
Could be a double wrist grab release.
Or from the Advanced Tearing Peacock video description:

"The interpretation involves releasing oneself from two opponents who have grabbed one by the shoulders. The performer, using both hands as tiger claws, rips at the opponents' eyes. The other meaning of the same movement is two arm blocks against an opponent who is reaching for performer's neck."

Or from the Advanced Tearing Peacock video description:

"The interpretation involves releasing oneself from two opponents who have grabbed one by the shoulders. The performer, using both hands as tiger claws, rips at the opponents' eyes. The other meaning of the same movement is two arm blocks against an opponent who is reaching for performer's neck."
What was shown in your video was fine. I can see the applications you are talking about in your movements.... and may even see a few others. However, in my opinion, what you were doing in the Advanced Tearing Peacock and what she was doing, are entirely different. Too much of a stretch in my opinion for her to get the same applications that you get from your kata....

Back