2024 Olympics Judo Teddy Gold Throw

Jeff_Beish

Orange Belt
Reaction score
IMHO, Teddy performed a perfect ashi guruma, close to harai goshi, in his gold medal match. Very nice technique. If you have the patience of Job, here is the video, scroll to 02:50 and start watching.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mg50I20Yw4 or see this:

Screenshot 2024-08-02 123601.jpg

That was a sweet throw.

I’ve really enjoyed the judo this year. Can’t wait for wrestling to start.

Teddy...

1. steps with right foot, hops onto left foot and feints inside (e.g., uchi mata).
2. as opponent steps around, throws Kim with ashi-guruma.

That's one major principle of the throwing art - attack one leg, and then attack the other leg.

The following 5 moves can be used as 1 combo sequence. It's called tall person's major 5 throws.

- leg twist,
- leg lift,
- inner foot sweep (or shin bite),
- leg block,
- outer leg twist (or front cut).

All 5 throws can be done from a head lock control. This is why the head lock control is so important in the throwing art.

I'm afraid Teddy will be the last traditional Judoka in the Olympics given some of the new modified techniques I see. He was a pain in the past but being an old Judoka I didn't pay much attention to his attitude because he is that good. I was at the Kodokan in early 2002, was visiting our Navy son in Japan, so I ran into Yamashita. He is a big dude. Just watching him workout was a pleasure. To me Yamashita and Muneta Yasuyuki should be paid for their YouTube videos. :) Yeah, I have been out of Judo too long and miss it a lot. But, one does get too old.

Back